OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Question before install PKP Harvester in my box

Open Harvester Systems support questions and answers, bug reports, and development issues.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome.

Question before install PKP Harvester in my box

Postby Marc » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:13 am

Hi,

We have an OJS instance running perfectly, and we are considering to install PKP Harvester.
I would like to know if PKP Harvester is completely integrated in the other PKP products. The interface allows consult the local data (from OJS) and the metadata harvested (with PKP Harvester) at the same time? Is it the same interface?

Thanks a lot,

Marc
Marc

Postby asmecher » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:18 am

Hi Marc,

There is no integration between the Harvester and the other PKP applications (OJS and OCS) beyond the usual OAI-PMH harvest process. They are based on much of the same code, however, and their interfaces are similar. What sort of integration are you interested in?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby Marc » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:13 am

Hi Alec,

We are interested in integrate local data with external metadata.
Currently we have one repository (may be two in a little time) and we would like to allow users search information with our old interface (OJS) to find local journals or metadata harvested from other journals.

I know we can harvest our own metadata from OJS with the PKP Harvest and redirect users directly to the harvester interface. Thus, users will search in all our metadata and also found the local documents. But if the searched data is in our repository we thing is better to give back the OJS page directly.

Do you thing is very difficult to adapt the PKP Harvester to allow something like that?

Thanks,

Marc
Marc

Postby asmecher » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:22 pm

Hi Marc,

Sorry, I'm not following your description... could you describe it in a little more detail?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Marc » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:21 am

Hi Alec,

First, sorry for my English and for my ignorance about harvesters :roll:

Currently, we are Data Providers. We have an instance of OJS to manage scientific Catalan journals and it work great (http://www.raco.cat).

Besides, there are some other repositories with scientific Catalan journals too. They have journals that we don’t have in our repository. We would like to have this other journals also in our repository, but those others repositories have yet a good interface and many years spreading out its journals. So, is very difficult to convince them to join us.

We are very interested in centralizing all the available Catalan journals into a repository. To resolve this problem, we have thought to harvest the metadata of the journals that we don’t manage. That means to realise Service Provider tasks.

Thus, we will have some Catalan journals in local (with complete text) using OJS and the metadata of all the others Catalan journals that we don’t have in our repository.

Here the integration. Our users are accustomed on searching key words (or something) in our interface (OJS) and receiving a list of related articles. We are considering to make an integration of the OJS data and the PKP Harvester metadata, allowing users to search something and receiving a list of related articles with:
- Articles with complete text (from OJS)
- Metadata of articles that are in other repositories (from Harvester).

We know that other possible solution is to redirect users to the harvester interface directly. Using this interface, they could search between all the metadata and choose an article clicking in the link to the original place. But, if this article is in our database we thing it is not a good solution (for example, with the harvester search is not possible to search inside the text).

What do you think about?

I hope to clear up the previous mail. Thanks a lot!

Bests,

Marc
Marc

Postby asmecher » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:05 am

Hi Marc,

Thanks, I understand your question now.

Here is what I'd suggest: modify the sidebar search form and main search form in OJS (templates/common/sidebar.tpl, templates/search/advancedSearch.tpl) to add an option in the user interface where users can choose to search the external collection. When this option is used, you'll need to direct the search to the Harvester using some simple Javascript. Look at the "byUrl" search, described in the Harvester2 manual.

Modifying OJS to return both OJS and Harvester results would be difficult to accomplish and would also, I suspect, confuse users needlessly.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Marc » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:54 am

Thanks Alec,

We will considering this solution.

MArc
Marc

Return to Open Harvester Systems Support and Development