OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Abstract Word Limit?

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Abstract Word Limit?

Postby tshore » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:44 am

I have set word limits of 200 and 400 words for abstracts, depending on the submission type.

First of all, I don't see that the word limit is displayed on the 2. ENTER METADATA page of the abstract submission form. It is displayed on the start page, but it would be helpful - especially for absent-minded professors - to have it displayed again beside the Abstract text box.

More importantly, the word limits don't work properly or consistently? The first thing I did when my client brought this problem to my attention, was turn off TinyMCE for the abstract field. This did not help.

For an abstract limit of 200 words, I can submit up to a 221 word abstract.

For an abstract limit of 400 words, I can also only submit 221 words??
tshore

Re: Abstract Word Limit?

Postby tshore » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:20 am

Ok, that's pretty confusing...

So, you can set a different word limit for abstracts for each track and, in the 2. ENTER METADATA page, it is checking only the track limit, not the limit set for each submission type? How is this supposed to work??? I consider this to be a bug.

Also, when the track word limit was set to 200, the author could enter up to 221 words and when I switch the track limit to 400 words, I can enter up to 443 words?

Help please.
tshore

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:48 pm

Hi Trudy,

Thanks for this report. I've filed these as a few bugs: see http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6340 and http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6341. Please feel free to CC yourself to those bugs for further updates.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby tshore » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:55 pm

Thanks James.
tshore

Postby kulachi » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:16 pm

I am also facing this problem.
I think mostly conferences use Submission type word limit. Submissions can be whole article or abstract of article with less word length.

Can we change track based limit to submission type limit only? I think changes can be made here. ../classes/author/form/submit/AuthorSubmitStep3Form.inc.php in line 40
$abstractWordCount = $track->getAbstractWordCount();
if (isset($abstractWordCount) && $abstractWordCount > 0) {
$this->addCheck(new FormValidatorCustom($this, 'abstract', 'required', 'author.submit.form.wordCountAlert', create_function('$abstract, $wordCount', 'foreach ($abstract as $localizedAbstract) {return count(explode(" ",strip_tags($localizedAbstract))) < $wordCount; }'), array($abstractWordCount)));
}
}
}

i tried to chnage like this but did,t work for me. i do,t know what to do? any suggestions.
$abstractWordCount = $paperType->getabstractLength();
if (isset($abstractWordCount) && $abstractWordCount > 0) {
$this->addCheck(new FormValidatorCustom($this, 'abstract', 'required', 'author.submit.form.wordCountAlert', create_function('$abstract, $wordCount', 'foreach ($abstract as $localizedAbstract) {return count(explode(" ",strip_tags($localizedAbstract))) < $wordCount; }'), array($abstractWordCount)));
}
}
}
kulachi

Return to OCS Technical Support