OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Editor can not accept/reject a paper

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Editor can not accept/reject a paper

Postby shubhash » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:11 pm

This seems to be a rather strange problem. One article has somehow got stuck in a way that the editor/section editor can neither accept nor reject the article. It has gone through the review process. Despite the wording of the error message, a section editor has been assigned to the article. But the dropdown menu for accepting/rejecting the paper is greyed out and unclickable. Below the drop down menu, it says:

"Before a decision can be recorded, a submission must be assigned to a Section Editor. The Review Version becomes, by default, the Editor Version."

This obviously does not make sense in this case.

I remember it happened once before and thinking that we might have messed up something, we resubmited the article and started over. However, as it happend again, this smells like a bug to me, although I don't know what triggers it.

Any idea why/how this could happen?
shubhash

Postby shubhash » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:55 am

Ok, I found the problem and reported it as bug.

http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2372

In short, if a copyedit version of the article has been uploaded, it not possible to accept/reject the article.

Because it happened and needed to be fixed, I simply deleted the relevant entries from the tables "article_files", "copyed_assignments", and changed "copyedit_file_id" field in "article" table. After that it was possible to accept the article. I don't know all the side-effects of doing this though. Please let me know if more changes are needed.
shubhash

Postby John » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:39 am

Shubhash
I have tried to duplicate the bug by skipping the Editor Decision with a submission and then going to Copyediting, where I uploaded the file to step 1 of copyediting, and the Editor Decision remained active, as it should (even after a decision has been recorded, as editors change their minds.)
Am I missing a step in this?
John

Postby asmecher » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:33 am

Hi Shubhash and John,

This behavior was changed between OJS 2.1.0-1 and the current release, OJS 2.1.1. Prior to OJS 2.1.1, it was not possible to record or change the decision after a submission was sent to copyediting; with the current release, you should be able to record additional decisions.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby shubhash » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:31 am

Alec and John, I see why it happened to us. We are a little behind in upgrading to the newer version. We just wanted to let the dust settle a bit before jumping to the new version. We'll upgrade soon.
shubhash

Return to OJS Technical Support