OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Possible bug in ISSN export in OAI

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Possible bug in ISSN export in OAI

Postby dankomed » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:13 pm

Dear Team, I just tried the ISSN export fix. I am not sure whether it behaves correctly however.
The journal has only e-ISSN without print ISSN. When I configure correctly only the e-ISSN and leaving the print ISSN field empty, then the OAI does NOT export anything - on the journal OAI page at /journal/oai?verb=ListRecords&metadataPrefix=oai_dc
I see only EMPTY Source field.
However, when I input the same ISSN number both for print and e-ISSN, then I get two Source fields showing identical ISSN number!
Of course, if I move the e-ISSN to the place for print ISSN, and if I delete e-ISSN, then OAI page shows only one ISSN Source field.
I think the correct behavior is supposed to be exporting one ISSN field even in the case when I put e-ISSN but no print ISSN. Currently, the OAI produces empty ISSN Source field if the print ISSN is missing, regardless of the presence of e-ISSN.
dankomed

Re: Possible bug in ISSN export in OAI

Postby asmecher » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:00 pm

Hi dankomed,

What patch did you apply? Did you apply it with any modifications?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby dankomed » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:37 pm

Dear Alec,

I have modified plugins/metadata/dc11/filter/Dc11SchemaArticleAdapter.inc.php using the Bugzilla solution: +9 lines -4 lines modification here:
https://github.com/pkp/ojs/commit/067f5 ... cddc543396
[I also attach zipped my patched file]
My system now is ojs 2.4.1 with modified String.inc.php so that to disable mime.magic (not supported on GoDaddy shared server).
There are no other modifications, but possibly my 2.4.1 version lacks other bug fixes that were released by the PKP team in the meantime.
For now, I just inserted the e-ISSN number on the place of print-ISSN, and left the e-ISSN empty. At OCLC website, the ISSN appears only once, so actually I am satisfied as it is. My point is that currently, if you have empty print ISSN but filled e-ISSN, nothing is exported - just empty Source field. Can you confirm this behavior on your own test journal?
Attachments
Dc11SchemaArticleAdapter.inc.php.zip
(2.86 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
dankomed

Postby asmecher » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:33 am

Hi dankomed,

I can't duplicate that behavior locally, and no matter how I look at the code I can't imagine how that behavior could be explained. Are you sure you didn't misread the OAI XML? It should add any available ISSNs.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby dankomed » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:19 am

Dear Alec,

I changed temporarily the configuration of my journal - so that print ISSN is empty, but online ISSN contains the ISSN number.
Please verify yourself that there is an empty Source field here:
[xxx]/journal/oai?verb=ListRecords&metadataPrefix=oai_dc

Once you verify, please inform me to change back my settings, moving online ISSN to print ISSN. As I said before, if I input on both places, I get two Source fields showing the same number. Now there is only one source field, but empty. Can you patch/turn off mime from your String.inc.php file to see if the mime is somewhat connected. Otherwise, my installation is upgraded ojs 2.3.7 to ojs 2.4.1 using the delete of /cache .php files as you recommended for my previous problems.
I understand your logic - but if there are no ISSN in any of the two place, no empty Source field is expected. What you see as empty field is after my cut and paste of the same number from print ISSN to online ISSN.
Last edited by dankomed on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
dankomed

Postby asmecher » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:29 am

Hi dankomed,

I can guarantee that the MIME code change is not related. I can see what you mean -- there is no ISSN present. Feel free to change it back.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby dankomed » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:35 am

Moved again (cut and paste) the ISSN number into the print ISSN box. The number appears correctly in the Source box. The interesting thing is that if the print box is filled, the online box is also displayed, contrary to my expectations.
dankomed

Postby asmecher » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:06 am

Hi dankomed,

Thanks -- I found a reference quirk that was causing this (only on the stable branch). There's an additional change at https://github.com/pkp/ojs/commit/7328371cfd09a15441a818184fda58f4e96f4a40 that will get your ISSNs behaving.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby dankomed » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:39 am

Yes, I have verified that the Bugzilla fix works. My ISSN is present in the online box only and is now correctly exported. Thanks for the fast fix.
dankomed

Return to OJS Technical Support