OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Theme Plugin - Bootstrap Base Theme

The Plugin Gallery is a venue for users of PKP software to share their plugins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
If you post a plugin here, please include information on which versions of which applications it is compatible with. Attach a tarball of the plugin (e.g. tar cvzf myPlugin-0.1.tar.gz plugins/generic/myPlugin). Thanks for contributing!

Theme Plugin - Bootstrap Base Theme

Postby CUDevMaxwell » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:47 pm

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to let the community know that work is progressing on a custom theme plugin for OJS that utilizes Bootstrap. http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/index.html

The plugin changes the template folder used by Smarty. This means you can create a custom theme for a journal without affecting other journals or the admin interface.

This is still an early alpha release. In the future, this plugin will (hopefully):
    -Utilize the Bootstrap jQuery plugins where possible, in place of the older js plugins (alerts for notifications, etc). Why? To provide a consistent base for further theme development.
    -Be used only on hosted journals that set it as the "Journal Theme" in the Look section of journal setup. (Right now, the cache is too 'sticky'.)
    -Be feature complete. (All the features of the built-in theme should "just work").
    -Simplify the templates used by OJS.
In the future, this theme could be used as a starting point for other custom themes, with a framework for responsive design already in place. (Download this theme plugin, change the name, then change the templates or css as you wish, without overwriting the templates built in with OJS.)

The github repository is here:
https://github.com/CUDevMaxwell/OJS-Modern-Theme
CUDevMaxwell

Re: Theme Plugin - Bootstrap Base Theme

Postby CUDevMaxwell » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:53 pm

Here's the (quite boring) base theme so far:

http://i.imgur.com/Jzqor.png
CUDevMaxwell

Postby asmecher » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:05 pm

Hi CUDevMaxwell,

Very interesting -- there are some risks to what you're doing, i.e. it looks like you're maintaining a complete copy of the templates; however, Bootstrap looks like a very promising project. I'll pass this around the team and see what they think. Meanwhile, have you looked at OMP? It contains a number of structures we've been pioneering for a next-generation UI. It doesn't use bootstrap but that may well be a viable addition. You might get a sense of where we're heading by looking at OMP.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby chrstoph » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:42 pm

Hi Alec

is there a way to do some work on the Templates like this without losing upgradability? (i am working in the same direction).

thanks
chris
chrstoph

Postby CUDevMaxwell » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:04 am

it looks like you're maintaining a complete copy of the templates

work on the Templates like this without losing upgradability

As far as I'm aware, the only way to make large-scale changes to pkp's html output is by completely overriding the templates in this way [redirecting the template directory]. This plugin will be tested against a particular minor version, but compatibility with other versions (or new versions) will depend how much much the templates change.
CUDevMaxwell

Postby asmecher » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:13 am

Hi Chris/CUDevMaxwell,

The trouble with large-scale duplication of templates is that it makes upgrading very difficult. With templates that are modified in place, you can use the patch-based upgrade process to a) upgrade modified files where the changes are minor enough to permit, and b) identify areas needing manual intervention otherwise. If all the templates are duplicated/relocated to a new location, neither of those benefits are possible. Unfortunately this is a difficult problem to solve and I haven't run across a silver bullet for it; we're open to suggestions.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby szmigieldesign » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:44 am

This is amazing news! I'm really looking forward to seeing a simple way to adapt Bootstrap-based templates into OJS. It's a lovely framework to work with.
szmigieldesign

Postby anfemora » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:48 am

I have tried to install the ZIP file, downloaded from github.com, but following message appears:
"El archivo de plugin subido no contiene una carpeta que se corresponde con el nombre del plugin"
which in english means
"The uploaded plugin file does not contain a folder that corresponds to the name of the plugin"
Do you know whre the problem can be? Thanks a lot!
anfemora

Postby tikidream » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:59 am

I've also been working on a PKP Bootstrap theme ("Bootstrappish"). Maybe we could combine our efforts? Though mine doesn't involve modifying any PKP templates but uses LESS files to remap bootstrap to fit with PKP templates. I've also got a basic "PKP Reset" LESS file to smooth over bumps in the differences between bootstrap and PKP styling. I've tested Bootstrappish on OCS and OJS and it works fairly decent.

I'll be getting it up on github later this week but it was used on the Columbia University Research Data Symposium at http://conferences.cdrs.columbia.edu/rd ... hp/rds/rds

The version on the symposium didn't utilize any of the js but more recent versions include it by having the below code in the theme plugin.

Code: Select all
/**
    * Activate the theme.
    */
   function activate(&$templateMgr) {

// Add in jQuery from CMS
      $jQueryCMS = '   <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="http://code.jquery.com/jquery.js"></script>';
      $additionalHeadData = $templateMgr->get_template_vars('additionalHeadData');
      $templateMgr->assign('additionalHeadData', $additionalHeadData."\n".$jQueryCMS);

// Add in Bootstrap JS
      $templateMgr->addJavaScript('plugins/themes/bootstrappish/js/bootstrap.min.js');

if (($stylesheetFilename = $this->getStylesheetFilename()) != null) {
         $path = Request::getBaseUrl() . '/' . $this->getPluginPath() . '/' . $stylesheetFilename;
         $templateMgr->addStyleSheet($path);
      }
   }
tikidream

Postby WebDev » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:28 am

Any updates on this? Looks great so far. Keep up the good work.
WebDev

Postby bgarnicnig » Wed May 08, 2013 2:55 am

Also very curious about this. I've noticed activating the theme on 2.4.2, but I'm leaning towards installing 2.4.1 just to use this. If you need any help developing, I'd be excited to help out. Just let me know what I can do: bernhard@continentcontinent.cc
bgarnicnig

Postby asmecher » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:36 pm

Hi all,

FYI, I'm gathering requirements for some theme work for the forthcoming OJS 3.0 release. If you're interested in contributing, or want to follow the discussion, please let us know or CC yourself to the following bug entry:

http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=8265

The CSS structures already introduced to the OJS 3.0 codebase will make CSS work much less painful for future releases. Help us get modern theming done right!

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to Plugin Gallery