OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Installation Problem

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Installation Problem

Postby sourena » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:15 pm

Hi, I use ipowerweb.com as my host with these specifications:
mysql version 12.22 Distrib 4.0.27
PHP 4.4.1

I am trying to install OJS 2.1.1. but I receive this message:

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/innerlay/public_html/ojs/classes/core/Registry.inc.php on line 38

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/innerlay/public_html/ojs/classes/core/Registry.inc.php on line 38

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/innerlay/public_html/ojs/classes/core/Registry.inc.php:38 ) in /home/innerlay/public_html/ojs/classes/core/Request.inc.php on line 33

I am not a programmer and I don't have a clue what these lines mean. What should I do to fix the problem?
sourena

Postby asmecher » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:00 am

Hi sourena,

This looks like a bug in your PHP distribution or deployment (e.g. some versions of Zend Accelerator incorrectly optimize return values resulting in messages like this). The message is harmless and OJS will function correctly, but you'll need to suppress the message from being displayed. Try adding this line as the second line of index.php (e.g. below the <?):
Code: Select all
ini_set('display_errors', E_ALL  ^ E_NOTICE);
Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby sourena » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:33 am

I added the code and I still get the same error message on the top of the page.
Shouldn't I change something in Registry.inc.php and Request.inc.php since they are mentioned in the message?
sourena

Postby asmecher » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:36 am

Hi sourena,

This isn't a bug in OJS, this is a bug in your PHP environment; the error messages themselves are erroneous but can be ignored. Are you sure you added the ini_set line at the correct spot in index.php? It should be just below the <?php line but before the /** line.

If this doesn't correct the problem, contact us at pkp-support@sfu.ca and I'll pick up the conversation from there.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support