OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Implementing DOIs for the first time

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Implementing DOIs for the first time

Postby janer » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:05 am

Hello,

I am trying to find out exactly what a Journal Manager must do to implement DOIs once the Plug In for CrossRef has been installed (by somebody other than me!). I have studied the Setup pages and understand the principles of the numbering system, but I am not an IT techie, and would be so grateful if there could be a simple explanation of what I would actually have to practically do to:
a) ensure that the DOI for each relevant item appeared on its Abstract Page
b) implement the data abstraction to CrossRef, and at what point in the publishing cycle - after an issue is published?
c) make sure that the 'Full Issue' which appears at the foot of our contents list so that the people who want to can print off the complete issue, does not get given a DOI ref number!

Many thanks

Janer
janer

Re: Implementing DOIs for the first time

Postby springday » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:19 am

Hi Janer,

a) you'll find an answer to your first question in this thread:
http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9013

b) Yes, usually you would want to register a DOI when it is first made public.

Sorry, I don't understand your question c), maybe because I haven't used the Crossref plugin (yet) - currently I am registering DOIs to mEDRA with the mEDRA plugin. I'm considering a switch to Crossref, so if that happens in the coming weeks, I might be able to understand your question and help you further.

Best regards,
Kai
springday

Postby ramon » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:54 am

Hello all,

We are receiving a few questions regarding the mEdra Plugin, which we don't use and have very little experience with.
It is throwing an error in OJS 2.3.8. We couldn't find anything related, so I post here. In case there is something similar, I may open a new topic...

Somehow, the plugin is trying to handle a string as an array (line 105/106).
Code: Select all
PHP Fatal error:  [] operator not supported for strings in v2380/plugins/importexport/medra/classes/DOIExportPlugin.inc.php on line 105

I tried fixing it as I assume there is a problem how the $localeFilenames is built.
In our case, it's a string, not an array, with the value of the path to the general locale.xml file.
This fixed the main error, but the strings are not translated, so there must be another solution to the problem.

Code: Select all
/**
         * @see PKPPlugin::getLocaleFilename($locale)
         */
        function getLocaleFilename($locale) {
                $localeFilenames = array();
                //$localeFilenames[] = parent::getLocaleFilename($locale);
                var_dump($localeFilenames);

// Add shared locale keys.
                $localeFilenames[$locale] = array();
                $localeFilenames[$locale][] = $this->getPluginPath() . DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR . 'locale' . DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR . $locale . DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR . 'common.xml';
                var_dump($localeFilenames);
                return $localeFilenames;
        }

No one has come across this issue?
Is this plugin for 2.3 upt to 2.3.6 only?
Is there a problem with our PHP version (PHP Version 5.2.6-3ubuntu4.6, and it also happens in 2.5.14)?
Instituto Brasileiro de Informação em Ciência e Tecnologia - IBICT
Ministério da Ciência e Tecnologia - MCT
ramon

Postby swing » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:18 am

Hi Ramón,

As far as I know the mEDRA plug-in has been published first in OJS version 2.4.0. Where/how did you get the mEDRA plug-in in 2.3.8?
The function getLocaleFilename($locale) in the lib/pkp/classes/plugins/PKPPlugin.inc.php changed in 2.4.0 and now it returns an array, which was not the case in the earlier versions, i.e. 2.3.8.
Could this be your problem, that you are using the plug-in in a wrong OJS version?

Best wishes,
Bozana
swing

Postby ramon » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:01 am

Hello Bozana,

What you say is exactly what's happening.
We received the question about the error in what we think is an OJS 2.3.7 version as that's the link we received from the user.
So, we downloaded the master.tar.gz from this link.
We don't remember exactly how we got there, except that we found the tar.gz after accessing the DOI PUB ID plugin page we followed from a link somewhere, after searching for DOI plugin, or something like that.
Since this tar.gz has a README file saying it's OJS 2.3.4, we assumed the plugins would work, and copied the plugin folder and ran the tools/upgrade.php upgrade to install.
When we run it, in a 2.3.8, it shows the aforementioned error.

Basically, this problem is solved.

Now, to the next question:
This mEDRA is just for Europe, right? Or can it be used to register DOIs at CrossRef?

Instituto Brasileiro de Informação em Ciência e Tecnologia - IBICT
Ministério da Ciência e Tecnologia - MCT
ramon

Postby springday » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:08 pm

Hi Ramon,

mEDRA is a DOI agency based in Italy, it belongs to the Italian publishers union. They have an association agreement with the German, Spanish and Hungarian booksellers/publishers unions as well. So, I think it is mainly used by publishers from those country. You can find their website here to check or contact them, asking if they also provide services for non-European publishers: http://www.medra.org/

Best regards,
Kai Weber
springday

Return to OJS Technical Support