OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Maximum space for upload directory exceeded.

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Maximum space for upload directory exceeded.

Postby tshore » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:23 pm

This happens when you try to use the WYSIWYG editor (TinyMCE) to add an image to your site. The plugin that TinyMCE is using is called JBImages. This is a bug - at least in the version of the code that I'm using (OCS 2.3.5). I've seen it reported a few other times, but, because it couldn't be reproduced, no one ever followed up on it.

In this file:

lib/pkp/lib/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/jbimages/ci/application/controllers/editor.php

on line 174, replace this:

if ($maxUploadDirSize)

with this:

if ($uploadDirSizeExceeded)

Once I fixed the bug, I was thrilled to find out that I still could not upload an image using TinyMCE. The new error was:

The filetype you are attempting to upload is not allowed

This error is thrown by:

lib/pkp/lib/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/jbimages/ci/system/libraries/Upload.php

in the function is_allowed_filetype().

It was failing the mime type check, and after a bit of debugging, it seemed that continuing would be too much trouble ($this->file_type was messed up, I think), so I just bailed and switched line 584 from:

public function is_allowed_filetype($ignore_mime = FALSE)

to:

public function is_allowed_filetype($ignore_mime = TRUE)
tshore

Re: Maximum space for upload directory exceeded.

Postby asmecher » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:28 pm

Hi Trudy,

Beware that you may have opened up your system for uploads of malevolent files, e.g. PHP scripts. The code you've changed is in a third-party library so I'm not entirely sure of the implications, but it's worth double-checking.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby tshore » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:35 pm

Alec - your scare tactics caused me to actually stay at this and find the problem - ugh. I can't believe that no one ever debugged this extension before. I mean, it's not a necessary feature, but surely people have tried to use it on a similar system to our server before?

Ok, so in this file:

lib/pkp/lib/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/jbimages/ci/system/libraries/Upload.php

you need to replace this (around line 1058):

@exec('file --brief --mime-type ' . escapeshellarg($file['tmp_path']), $output, $return_code);

with this:

@exec('file --brief --mime-type ' . escapeshellarg($file['tmp_name']), $output, $return_code);

Will you guys file these two as bugs?
tshore

Postby asmecher » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:57 am

Hi Trudy,

That's not a scare tactic -- your original change appears at a glance to have deactivated MIME type checking, which strikes me as risky. JBimages is a third-party extension to a third-party extension (TinyMCE) to our software so my knowledge of its internals is doubly limited. I'd suggest checking in with the author of JBImages (http://justboil.me/) to see what his take on your proposed change is.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby TSammy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:13 am

Hi,
My problem was the message appearing on the uploading pop-up window, saying "Upload in progress… This is taking longer than usual. An error may have occurred."
I tried those 2-3 steps of TShore (*), but there is no change, I still can't upload anything.

(*)
1-) Editor.php Line174
2-) Upload.php Lines 584 and 1058
TSammy

Return to OCS Technical Support