OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Configuring Scheduled Tasks

Are you responsible for making OMP work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OMP:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OMP Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OMP Development subforum.

Configuring Scheduled Tasks

Postby thanasis » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:38 am

Hi everyone,

On the readme file it says ' enable scheduled_tasks setting to On from the config.inc.php file '
and then :

On Unix operating systems, this can be done by adding a simple cron task:
# crontab -e www
0 * * * * php /path/to/ojs2/tools/runScheduledTasks.php
In this example the script would be executed every hour.

I tried to use the ' crontab -e www ' command and i got an error message about no arguments permitted after '-e ',so i tried it without the 'www ' part and crontab file opened.I added the second line '0 * * * * php /path/to/omp/tools/runScheduledTasks.php ' and saved the file.

Do i need to add anything to the configuration file or this is going to work as is now?How can i check if the scheduled backup works as intened?
Also,is the script enough to keep backup of the www folder and where does it save the backup files?

Thanks in advance for any information or advice.
Regards,
Thanasis Kordas
University of Patras
thanasis

Re: Configuring Scheduled Tasks

Postby asmecher » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:09 am

Hi Thanasis,

There are no scheduled tasks currently coded into OMP; that cron job currently has no function (but will probably be used to implement things like automatic email reminders in the future). You mentioned a scheduled backup; if you want to do that, I suggest using the regular server admin tools (e.g. mysqldump, tar, etc).

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Re: Configuring Scheduled Tasks

Postby thanasis » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:12 am

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the clarification Alec.I will try to manually configure scheduled backups.

Regards.
Thanasis Kordas
University of Patras
thanasis

Return to OMP Technical Support