OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

.tpl file for right navigation bar

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

.tpl file for right navigation bar

Postby ram » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:29 pm

Dear Sir,
I want to change the right side navigation bar link names how can i change that?Please give me the detailed answer regarding that.
ram

Re: .tpl file for right navigation bar

Postby springday » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:29 am

Hi ram,

there is not one template for the right sidebar, there are many. That is because the elements in the right sidebar are so-called block plugins. You probably have already encountered the setup where you can switch on and off certain of those sidebar block elements. It's in step 5.6 of the journal setup, which you can reach when you're logged in as a journal manager. You can get more information about each of those block plugins when you click on "plugins" and then "block plug-ins" as a journal manager.

Now back to your question: The templates for those block plugins are to be found in /path_to_ojs_installation/plugins/blocks. There is one subfolder for every block, and in those subfolders you'll also find the template (*.tpl) files.

Greetings,
Kai
springday

Register Form

Postby ram » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:13 pm

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your quick response.I never expected the quick response from you.It motivate me to know more about ojs.

Where can i find the coding for Registration form to change the drop down list menu for Gender from M to Male and F to Female.Where can i find the textbox and textarea buttons coding also?
ram

Postby springday » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:42 am

Dear ram,

I'm glad you found my reply helpful. I just want you to be aware, that I am not an official representative of OJS / PKP; I'm just an OJS user like you are. I'm an OJS user who thinks he should share some information because he's using OJS for commercial, non-Open Access purposes, so I have a moral duty to pay with information...

The template you're looking for is in /templates/user/register.tpl, the part for the gender form is:

Code: Select all
<tr valign="top">
         <td class="label">{fieldLabel name="gender-m" key="user.gender"}</td>
         <td class="value">
            <select name="gender" id="gender" size="1" class="selectMenu">
               {html_options_translate options=$genderOptions selected=$gender}
            </select>
         </td>
      </tr>

However, if you modify the gender usage or options here, it will only have effect for the form where users register themselves. There are other editing forms for user data, for example available to the journal manager. The gender-field would not disappear from those other forms then.
If you rather want to change the internal processing of gender options, you might be interested in looking at this forum entry:

http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8137

Best regards,

Kai Weber
springday

Postby ram » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:32 pm

Hi kai,
Iam sorry. I thought that you are representative of ojs.Anyway thank you for clarify my doubts.

if you can means clarify the following doubt.

<td class="label">
<label for="gender-m">Gender</label>
</td>
<td class="value">
<select id="gender" class="selectMenu" size="1" name="gender">
<option value="" label=""></option>
<option value="Male" label="M">M</option> => I want to change from M to male and F to female
<option value="Female" label="F">F</option>
<option value="O" label="Other">Other</option>
</select>
</td>

Just i want to know where can i find the above coding?I want to change the label options only not the internal logic.i get this coding by using firebug.But i could not find the above coding in the documents.
ram

Postby springday » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:53 pm

Hi Ram,

the code that you pasted here is exactly what is produced by the code I pasted above. In your case it's the HTML output. In my case it's the Smarty Template code that produces the HTML output. Anyway, for your purpose we don't need to fiddle with the templates at all.

What is displayed there is saved in a locale. You'll find the file here:
/lib/pkp/locale/en_US/user.xml

Somewhere in this document, there are those lines:
<message key="user.feminine">F</message>

<message key="user.masculine">M</message>

<message key="user.other">Other</message>

Change the "F" and "M" to suit your needs.

(The file path above is assuming that you want to change the labels in an English language OJS installation. If you are using a different primary language or have enabled the user to select further languages, you can find the appropriate "user.xml" files for each language in the other folders of /lib/pkp/locale/.)
springday

Postby ram » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:31 am

Hi,
So much of thanks to you.Can you guide me to customize the ojs as per my wish.Because this project is handover to me.Iam a fresher and also i dont know about php and xml also.Thats why iam asking about the basic questions.
ram

Postby springday » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:39 pm

Hi Ram,

the simplest way to customize buttons, labels and drop box contents in OJS for people without much programming experience is the "Translator Plugin". You'll find this one if you login as journal manager, click on "Plugins", then "Generic Plugins". The translator plugin should appear in the list, and if it's not already enabled, enable it. Then click on "Translate". You will be given the choice of all available locales, i.e. all the files that contain label, button, and other displayed text in different languages. Choose the language the clicking "edit" and you'll see a list of files. Now this is the most "difficult" part. If you're new to OJS, it is not so easy to understand or figure out which file contains exactly which definitions. The file names are a little guideline, but you might have to scan through several of those files until you spot the parts you are looking for. However, as I said above: You can edit, change, customize most of the text that is output by OJS without knowing PHP or XML conventions. Give it a try!

Best wishes,
Kai
springday

Postby ram » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:21 pm

Dear kai,
how are u?iam back after a long time.i had to do another work at the intermediate period.kindly tell me how the approval of submission is processed.i know how to submit submission as an author .but i dont know how to approve the submission and please tell me it very detailedly.

Waiting for your response

by,
ram.
ram

Postby ram » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:48 am

Dear kai,
I want to know how to approve the submission journal with detailed answers.please send me quick reply at least anyone
by
ram
ram

Postby springday » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:50 am

Hi Ram,

I'm sorry I can't help you with your questions. I have no experience using OJS for submission approval - the company I work for is at the moment only using OJS for distributing journal articles, we're not using it for our editorial workflow - yet...

Best regards,
Kai
springday

Postby ram » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:53 pm

Hi,
its ok kai.Anyway thanks
ram

Postby ram » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:32 am

Hi,
I cant upload the pdf file while submission step 2.it wont get uploaded as a pdf file.but i can upload word document .How i upload the pdf file in ojs submission as an author
ram

Postby ram » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:43 am

1.how do i show the submitted accepted document to readers?
2.I want to show the pdf glalleylinks.Without cant upload pdf files how should i show them?
3.Is there any plugins need to import?

can anyone answer my questions quickly.i need it.
ram

Postby asmecher » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:50 am

Hi ram,

Check the FAQ for upload-related problems; there are several questions there that might be relevant. For an overview of how the workflow functions, see the OJS userguide.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Next

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion