OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Experiences with translation needed (how long does it take?)

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

Experiences with translation needed (how long does it take?)

Postby elbaek » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:17 am

Hi everyone,

We have some journals in Danish on our site Ejournals@cbs therefore I am looking into translating OJS into Danish. As I do not have the time myself to do it nor the skills I want to hire a professional translator to do it. For the translation I will apply for a grant, but to apply for the grant I need to know approx. how long it takes to translate OJS from English into another language.

So basically what I would like know from any of you out there who have translated OJS into other languages – how long did it take? Hours, days, weeks, one person, more people?

Thanks for sharing your experience with me :)
Mikael K. Elbæk
Ejournals@cbs
Copenhagen Business School Library
elbaek

Postby asmecher » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:00 pm

Hi Mikael,

One translator provided the following estimate:
  • Main locale file: approx. 3 days
  • Emails: 2 days or less
  • Documentation: 2 days or less
  • Help files: approx. 5 days
In our experience, the time taken and quality of the resulting translation depend heavily on the translator's familiarity with journal terminology; translators who weren't familiar with XML sometimes had trouble with character encodings.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby MMeijer » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:25 am

Hi Alec,
We are currently evaluating OJS and thinking about a Dutch translation.
Thanks for the estimates mentioned above.

Do you have, or plan for, a procedure to upgrade translations when OJS itself is upgraded?

Regards,
Maarten
MMeijer

Postby asmecher » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:12 am

Hi Maarten,

The next release will include some translation maintenance tools to help ease the process of updating a translation between releases of OJS; this tool will also probably be useful for creating translations in the first place. The tool is complete, but keep in mind that it's unreleased and still needs testing. If you'd like, contact me via email and I can provide you with a URL to evaluate.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Development