OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

email address field

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

email address field

Postby mar » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:21 am

Good morning,
is it possibile to make the email address field as NOT required ?

thank you
mar

Re: email address field

Postby JasonNugent » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:27 am

Hi mar,

On which form? For submissions, this can be accomplished by editing the templates to remove any client-side validation from the fields, and then also editing the Form PHP classes which process them in order to remove any Validators that have been added to certain fields for server-side validation and requirement. You might have problems later on for things like exporting records with the NativeImportExportPlugin and there may be locations where email addresses are assumed to have been provided when emails to authors are sent during the review process. So, it can be done, but it isn't entirely trivial or without consequence.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby mar » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:26 am

Thank you Jason,
I'd need it in Import/Export Data/QuickSubmit form becuase when I uplod 'old' items, sometimes, the email address is unknown.

Regards,

Mark
mar

Postby springday » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:56 am

Hi Mar,

if you import XML data of older articles and don't have e-mail addresses of the authors, the easiest trick is to add dummy email-addresses. I usually go with

Code: Select all
<email> </email>

(i.e. using a space character as a replacement for the missing email address)

This way you don't have to modify OJS code but get your article data submitted nevertheless. (I don't know if this trick works on quick submit forms, too. Probably it isn't working, because the form validator might require an email address to have at least an "@"-sign.)

How are you generating your XML input files that you are uploading? If you are using XSLT somewhere in the process, you could add a processing rule like this:

Code: Select all
<email>
    <xsl:choose>
        <xsl:when test="not({CHECK_FOR_EMAIL_ADDRESS_IN_SOURCE_DATA})"><xsl:text> </xsl:text></xsl:when>
        <xsl:otherwise><xsl:value-of select="{SELECT_EMAIL_ADDRESS_FROM_SOURCE_DATA}"/></xsl:otherwise>
    </xsl:choose>
</email>

Best regards,
Kai Weber
springday

Return to OJS Technical Support