OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

OJS 2.3.8 Galley Subscribed content and other import issues

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

OJS 2.3.8 Galley Subscribed content and other import issues

Postby hamsavijay » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:30 pm

Dear Forum Users/moderators/PKP experts,
We've recently upgraded OJS 2.2.3 to 2.3.8 and I was in the preparation for publishing the latest issue.

I'm in need of some help for the following troubles:
[1] I've struggled to read my usual xml script to import issues where it gave me an error: "Message: WARNING: copy() [<a href='function.copy'>function.copy</a>]: Unable to access [URL]" when I use href of url where the PDFs were stored. I've effortlessly spent 3 days reading PKP forums and tried various options ranging from permission settings to editing php.ini (in our case the journal is hosted under shared server, so our host administrator has asked us to create our own php.ini at the ojs installation directory). All those were throwing same error on the error log.

[2] Finally, I've used the manual route of using articles plugin for Quick submit whereby i can submit articles for a future issue and then publish this issue. It is now completed. http://www.ijvss.maftree.org/index.php/ijvss/index The problem I've is the current issue content is available only for subscribed users. Although I've checked the "Subscription" pulldown under "Issue Data" tab, the PDF content on galley is shown as OPEN ACCESS. Prior to publish, within the Table of contents there were only two types - "Default" and "Open" under ACCESS. I left it to "Default." on the basis that default is a subscribed content. If this not the case, how do i change this on php or manually.

[3] On the installation directory, I've error log created every time. This file becomes huge and easily dumps our storage limit. How do I avoid creating the error log file in the server.

All help is much appreciated.

Thanks, Priya
hamsavijay

Re: OJS 2.3.8 Galley Subscribed content and other import iss

Postby springday » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:37 am

Hi Priya,

I fear I can't help you with question [1], but I'll give [2] and [3] a try:

[2]
First please check step 4 of the journal setup. Part 4.1 lists "Access and Security Settings". If some parts of your journal content is open access and some part is only for subscribers you should select "The journal will require subscriptions to access some or all of its contents".
There are several ways of controlling which content is open access and which isn't. If the option 4.1 is set as above, the editor of a journal can select how each article is supposed to be accessible: Login as an editor and go to > Back issues, then choose the issue you want to edit. You will see a column with the title "Access". There are drop boxes where you can choose "Default" and "Open".
If you are importing article data with the XML plugin for quick submitting, you can controll the data like this: If you want an article to be treated like the "default", no special measure needs to be taken. If you import an article that is supposed to be open access, add an empty <openAccess/> element to the article.
A third option is working directly in the database, if you're comfortable with that. In the database table "published_articles" you'll find a column named "access_status". A zero means "default", a "1" means open access.

[3]
Error and warning messages in the log are influenced by several factors. Do you have access to the php.ini file on your OJS server? This should be the first place to look for influencing error logging. There is a section titled "Error handling and logging". It usually contains a lot of comments about the settings you could make to get the desired behavior.

Best regards,
Kai Weber
springday

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion