You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

OCS - ADA compliant?

Are you a Director, Presenter, Reviewer or Conference Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael

Forum rules
The Public Knowledge Project Support Forum is moving to http://forum.pkp.sfu.ca

This forum will be maintained permanently as an archived historical resource, but all new questions should be added to the new forum. Questions will no longer be monitored on this old forum after March 30, 2015.

OCS - ADA compliant?

Postby dmaltby » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:24 am

I am considering using OCS for an upcoming conference consisting of large numbers of blind or visually impaired participants. I have looked at the software and it appears to meet the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) but I wanted to be certain before adopting it for my purposes. Can someone please confirm that OCS is ADA compliant? Thank you!

Re: OCS - ADA compliant?

Postby asmecher » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:38 am

Hi dmaltby,

As far as I'm aware OCS has never formally been checked for compliance. Generally we've followed good accessibility practices and anecdotally we're not aware of any problems but without testing by someone specifically familiar with those standards I would be hesitant to promise compatibility. (For example, I'm not aware of screen-reader issues around things like file uploads that might be required in the peer review tools, but the approaches we've used are bog-standard.)

OCS is written consistently in e.g. the markup it uses, so if a spot-test on one area of OCS checks out, then that should give you a decent level of confidence for the rest. And as always we're very open to feedback and suggestions.

Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Return to OCS Conference Support and Discussion