OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

installation problem

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

installation problem

Postby accarlson » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:20 pm

Olá!

I´m trying OJS version 1.1.10 in an page hosted on a service provider.

When accessing ojs/install.php some warning message appear and an error occur:

"Fatal error: Call to undefined function loadLocale() in /home/restricted/home/cadernosdeyoga/public_html/ojs1.1.10/ojs/install.php on line 90"

As magic_quotes_gpc was not enable, I did it by creating a .htaccess file with php information. But when I done that to enable magic_quotes_gpc, another error happens when accessing install.php ou any other php file:

"500 Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@cadernosdeyoga.com.br and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log."

The server log does not show anything helpful.

Version:
php 5.0.4
system: Linux hm206 2.4.21-47.ELsmp #1 SMP
apache 2.

Any sugestion?

Thanks in advance.

Augusto
accarlson

Postby asmecher » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:52 pm

Hello Augusto,

The register_globals option is required, which might explain the PHP error about loadLocale being missing -- in any case, it's the first thing you should address. I suspect the 500 error message is due to a typo in the .htaccess statement enabling register_globals, or perhaps because this option is not allowed (although in that case it's generally ignored). Double-check the syntax you used, and you might have to correspond with your host provider to figure out a work-around.

OJS 2.x is vastly superior to the 1.x line and is more compatible with modern servers; I'd suggest using it instead.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Installing version 2.1.1

Postby accarlson » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:49 pm

Hi!

I tried to install version 2.1.1, but when I try to access http://mydomain/ojs-2.1.1/ it show a blank (white) page.

What can be wrong?

Thanks,

Augusto
accarlson

Postby asmecher » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:53 pm

Hi Augusto,

This is probably a file permission problem or a missing MySQL database driver in your PHP configuration; for the former, you can get more information by adding the following line near the top of index.php (i.e. after the line reading "<?php"):
Code: Select all
ini_set('display_errors', E_ALL);
Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby accarlson » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:03 pm

I tried permissions 777 and insert the code ini_set('display_errors', E_ALL); in index.php and nothing appear.

I changed file permissions according README file.

Any other suggestion?

Augusto
accarlson

Postby asmecher » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:05 pm

Hi Augusto,

If the blank page appears when you press the "Install" button, the problem is that you haven't loaded the MySQL driver into your PHP configuration. From docs/FAQ:
7) The installation form loads successfully, but after clicking the button
to install, a blank page appears and the database was not created.

A: This may indicate that your server does not have the selected PHP database
module installed and enabled (this can be verified by looking at the output
of phpinfo() to see if the required database support exists -- see
http://php.net/phpinfo).

The OJS installer lists database drivers for which the required PHP
extension does not appear to be loaded in brackets (e.g., "[MySQL]").

Most Linux distributions offer a separate package that can be installed for
each supported PHP database module -- e.g., php4-mysql or php-mysql (for
MySQL support), or php4-pgsql or php-pgsql (for PostgreSQL support).

Note also that even with the module installed it may be necessary to modify
your php.ini configuration to load the module, by adding "extension=mysql.so"
or "extension=pgsql.so", for example.
Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby accarlson » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:12 pm

Hi!

I have read the FAQ before. But nothing appear, even the install button. The first access is a white page.

MySQL is enabled as is show in phpinfo().

Augusto
accarlson

Postby asmecher » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:03 pm

Hi Augusto,

Odd -- is your memory_limit set low in php.ini? Make sure it's at least 12M (and don't forget to restart your web server). If you'd like me to investigate, please contact me at pkp-support@sfu.ca and I'll pick it up from there.

Also, please check that the "Installed" option is set to "Off" in config.inc.php prior to installation. When you surf to index.php, does your browser get redirected to index.php/index/install?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby claivaz » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:40 am

Hello Alec and Augusto,

I do encounter the same problem when trying to install OJS. I followed your tips, check the memory_limit of php...

The fact : When I surf to index.php, the browser get redirected to index.php/index/install but I get a blank page. Allowing error messages, it shows "Fatal error ; Call to undefined function xml_parser_create() in [...]/XMLParser.inc.php in line 138".

Thanks a lot.
Jean-Blaise
claivaz

Postby asmecher » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:46 am

Hi Jean-Blaise,

It looks like your server's version of PHP doesn't have XML support; this either means that it's extremely old, or that it was compiled without XML support built in. OJS requires XML support. Are you using a pre-packaged version of PHP (e.g. that came with a Linux distribution), or did you roll your own?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby claivaz » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:17 am

Dear Alec,

Thank you for your answer and the solution.

I run a Linux Mandriva (ex-Mandrake) and got the prepackage PHP5 through it. As you guessed, the xml support was not installed. I just added few modules and the show goes on !

Best regards,
Jean-Blaise
claivaz

Return to OJS Technical Support