OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Deleting Sections

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Deleting Sections

Postby philipl » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:15 am

Posted this on the technical section, but no answer, so moved it over here. Hope this is correct location for query.

==============
I have been using journal sections for authors to submit articles for special editions. This was discussed here before:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2766

I am not sure which version I am using (system was set up by our technical people in 2009).

I was about to delete a few old sections e.g. dealing with a special edition on Nano-technology, but a message came up saying that I would have to "re-publish any articles in this section". Not sure what that means - will it affect the already published issues? According to the posting above, it shouldn't, but the warning message suggests otherwise.

Journal is at http://ejlt.org

Philip
philipl

Re: Deleting Sections

Postby philipl » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:11 am

Is anyone there?
philipl

Postby springday » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:34 am

Hi Philip,

as just another OJS user I don't know the answer to your question either, but I'm here at least. Sorry, that doesn't help you, I know. However, as you said you don't know which version you're using: That's very easy to find out. Log-in as administrator, and then click "System information". That will tell you which version you are using. (Sure, that only works if you are the administrator of your OJS site...)

Best wishes, and hope somebody will step in here and be able to answer your main question,
Kai
springday

Postby philipl » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:36 am

Kai,

Thanks for the reply. I thought I might have been posting to a long defunct location ....

I'm the journal manager (only journal on the system) so can't log in as system administrator. Not sure if that info is required. Hopefully someone will be along to tell me soon.

Philip
philipl

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:34 pm

Hi Philip,

To add to Kai's excellent advice, you can also find out your OJS version by looking at the HTML page source. So checking the HTML source to your home page I can see that you are running OJS 2.2.3 (which is an older, but very stable, version).

Regarding your question: what will happen when you delete that section is that any articles that were previously published to that section, in *all* published issues, will be unpublished. This is because the section they originally belonged to has been deleted, and there is no reasonable way for the system to know where to put them otherwise. Once unpublished, they should simply return to your editors' Editing queue, and can be republished from there, to any issue/section you would like.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby philipl » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:05 am

Thanks - I understand now.

It sounds as though I shouldn't have used sections for what I wanted to do.

Is there - for future special issues - a way that I can set up the system so that authors notify us that they want to be considered for a special edition rather than just a normal issues.

Philip
philipl

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:23 pm

Hi Philip,

There isn't any way to do this currently, unfortunately. However this was very recently requested elsewhere (see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9231&p=35812#p35812), and I think it makes for a good feature request. Added here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=7979. Please feel free to CC yourself to that report for future updates.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion