OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Bibliographic info? Help with pub. date

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Bibliographic info? Help with pub. date

Postby elbaek » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:49 am

Hi there,

I have three questions:
1. How do I get the right reference? When a journal is published without volumes, but in the form: number, month, year?
2. Does the Bibliographic tool ignore the issue publication date and instead show the article or issue <date_published>2006-08-04</date_published> ? Or how does it work? See the details below.
3. Can I export the uploaded data, change the dates and then import it againg and overwrite the existing?

I have been uploading back-issues manually, not using the XML import tool - knowing that would probably be much easier, but I have been accustomed to manually uploading the files.(':oops:')
Anyway OJS automatically gives the articles a date_published stamp which is presented in the citation in the bibliographic tool, which gives a, in our case, nonsense reference like this one:
"Levy, Neil. "Foucault as Virtue Ethicist" Foucault Studies [Online], Volume 0 Number 1 (4 August 2006)"

Depending on the ref. style used the reference should be something like: "Levy, Neil. "Foucault as Virtue Ethicist" Foucault Studies [Online], Number 1, December 2004"

In the set-up 4.1 Publication Scheduling -> Format -> I have chosen the "Custom issue title" and in the issue info I've typed "Number 1, December 2004" into the title field I can't leave the Volume, number, year fields blank therefore they are 0, 1, 2004.

A cut'n'paste of the the xml data looks like this (the interesting parts in bold):
<issues>
-
<issue published="true" current="true">
<title>Number 1, December 2004</title>
<volume>0</volume>
<number>1</number>
<year>2004</year>
<date_published>2006-08-04</date_published>
<access_date>2006-08-04</access_date>

-
<section>
<title locale="">Reviews</title>
<abbrev locale="">rev</abbrev>
-
<article>
<title>Review of Foucault et la philosophie antique</title>
<date_published>2006-08-04</date_published>
-
<author primary_contact="true">
<firstname>Alain</firstname>
<lastname>Beaulieu</lastname>
<affiliation>Mcgill University</affiliation>
<email>ojs.lib@cbs.dk</email>
</author>
<pages>126-128</pages>
-
<galley>
<label>PDF</label>
</file>
</galley>
</article>

Thank you for any help with these issues.

Best regards,
Mikael K. Elbæk
CBS Library
Ejournals@cbs <ej.lib.cbs.dk>[/b]
elbaek

Postby asmecher » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:07 am

Hi Mikael,

Currently, the citations generated by OJS don't pay attention to the Issue Identification selected (i.e. volume, number, year); they assume that certain pieces of information will be available, depending on the citation style selected in the Reading Tools settings. (The Issue Identification selection affects the issue's title display when reading an issue.) We'll probably fine-tune this behavior in a future release, but for now, I'd suggest either:
  • Choose a citation style in the Reading Tools settings that matches the available data, or
  • Modify the citation template, which is templates/rt/captureCite.tpl
The latter option will involve a little familiarity with coding, but I can provide instructions if you have further questions.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby elbaek » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:09 am

Hi Alec,

Couldn't find a citation style that gave me a correct citation. So I would have to go for the Modify the citation template option. Could you give me some instructions on that, I could probably get some help on the programming here.

Another question was if it is possible to export the metadata and change the date and the reload it into the system? and would it then overwrite the existing? Hopefully :)

Thanks,
Mikael
elbaek

Postby asmecher » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:14 am

Hi Mikael,

There's nowhere in the OJS interface to manually set the publication dates for either Articles or Issues, unfortunately; I'd suggest doing this in MySQL:
Code: Select all
UPDATE issues SET date_published = '2006-04-20' WHERE issue_id = 5;
UPDATE published_articles SET date_published = '2006-04-20' WHERE article_id = 10;
The above SQL will set the publication dates of issue ID #5 and article ID #10 to April 20th, 2006. You can determine which IDs to use from the Editor's interface. When you're looking at an issue's table of contents via the Editor's interface (e.g. via "Back Issues"), the URL will look like:
[u]http://my-site.com/ojs2/index.php/demo/editor/issueToc/3[/u]
This is issue ID #3. Similarly, when viewing an Article's Summary page, the URL will be something like:
[u]http://localhost/ojs2/index.php/demo/editor/submissionEditing/2[/u]
This is article ID #2.

Although it's a boundary condition (i.e. when OJS is operating using the full work-flow the dates will be entered correctly), a few users have run into problems with incorrect publication dates for imported issues and articles. Obviously correcting this in the database isn't an optimal solution; we may be addressing this in the future by providing some other method.

It's possible to export articles and issues via the Articles and Issues XML import/export plugin, correct the data, and re-import -- but I wouldn't suggest doing this, as all editorial information is lost and correcting the data in MySQL is a quicker solution.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby elbaek » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:00 am

Alright, thanks for the explanation I will try to get som assistance on the MySQL and get the publication dates right.

You will hear from me again if I have any questions.

Thanks again,
Mikael
elbaek

Return to OJS Technical Support