OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Author cannot complete the proofreading stage.

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Author cannot complete the proofreading stage.

Postby lightshadow306 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:20 pm

Dear Colleague,
I have one problem. When the author finishes proofreading, he/she has to send a email to inform the proofreader. In OJS .2.4.0, when the author try to send email, the OJS reload the same page (author sending mail page) again and again, so the author cann not finish the proofreading stage. The following is the log
PHP Notice: No file uploaded in Unknown on line 0, referer: http://jxxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/index.php/xxxx/ ... icleId=xxx
PHP Notice: No file uploaded in Unknown on line 0, referer: http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/index.php/xxxx/a ... plete/send

/pages/author/AuthorHandler.inc.php(123) : Fatal error - Call to a member function getJournal() on a non-object
Unknown(0) : Notice - No file uploaded

Is it a bug or some problem of my system, Thank you very much.
lightshadow306

Re: Author cannot complete the proofreading stage.

Postby JasonNugent » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:20 am

Hi there,

Given the 'No file uploaded' notice, the first thing I'd check in your case would be to see whether or not the file that was uploaded was too large. PHP sets limits on the size of uploaded files based on some settings in php.ini. Can you have a look at those settings? The ones of interest would be 'upload_max_filesize' and 'post_max_size'.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby lightshadow306 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:54 am

Dear Jason,
Thank you for your comment, but I don't think it is due to the setting
Of php.ini because the values in my php.ini are very large.
By the way, the copy editor and layout editor can send mail without problem,
The problem occurs only when the author finish proof reading stage and then send a mail to proofreader.
Thank you.

Light Shadow
lightshadow306

Postby JasonNugent » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:38 am

Hi again,

Can you try to reproduce the error, but this time can you turn on show_stacktrace in your config.inc.php file? The extra information included there may be beneficial in tracking down the problem.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby lightshadow306 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:37 am

Dear Jason
This is the error messages
ojs2 has produced an error\n Message: USER NOTICE: Deprecated function.\n In file: /usr/local/www/journals/lib/pkp/classes/user/PKPUserDAO.inc.php\n At line: 59\n Stacktrace: \n File: (unknown) line (unknown)\n Function: PKPApplication->errorHandler(1024, "Deprecated function.", "/usr/local/www/journals/lib/pkp/classes/user/PKPUserDAO.inc.php", 59, Array(2))\n File: /usr/local/www/journals/lib/pkp/classes/user/PKPUserDAO.inc.php line 59\n Function: trigger_error("Deprecated function.")\n File: /usr/local/www/journals/classes/submission/proofreader/ProofreaderAction.inc.php line 113\n Function: PKPUserDAO->getUser("247")\n File: /usr/local/www/journals/pages/author/TrackSubmissionHandler.inc.php line 514\n Function: ProofreaderAction->proofreadEmail(614, "PROOFREAD_AUTHOR_COMPLETE", Object(Request), "http://***.xxx.xxxx.xxx/author/authorProofreadingComplete/send")\n File: (unknown) line (unknown)\n Function: TrackSubmissionHandler->authorProofreadingComplete(Array(0), Object(Request))\n File: /usr/local/www/journals/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPRouter.inc.php line 370\n Function: call_user_func(Array(2), Array(0), Object(Request))\n File: /usr/local/www/journals/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPPageRouter.inc.php line 266\n Function: PKPRouter->_authorizeInitializeAndCallRequest(Array(2), Object(Request), Array(0), False)\n File: /usr/local/www/journals/lib/pkp/classes/core/Dispatcher.inc.php line 133\n Function: PKPPageRouter->route(Object(Request))\n File: /usr/local/www/journals/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php line 189\n Function: Dispatcher->dispatch(Object(Request))\n File: /usr/local/www/journals/index.php line 63\n Function: PKPApplication->execute()\n Server info:\n OS: FreeBSD\n PHP Version: 5.3.6\n Apache Version: Apache/2.2.19 (FreeBSD) mod_ssl/2.2.19 OpenSSL/0.9.8e DAV/2 PHP/5.3.6 with Suhosin-Patch\n DB Driver: mysql\n DB server version: 5.1.57-log, referer: http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/index.php/xxx/au ... diting/614

Any Idea ?
Thank you
lightshadow306

Postby JasonNugent » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:34 am

Hi Light Shadow,

I think I know what the problem is. OJS 2.4.0 (and earlier) make use of some PHP functions that have been marked as deprecated in our pkp-lib web application library. From the look of the stack trace, these PHP notices are generating a fatal runtime for you, perhaps due to the Suhosin-patch that you are running on your server instance.

The specific lines of code that are using the deprecated functions have been removed from the current Github version of the master branch and will be phased out in future releases of OJS. Can you make a small change in your code to see if the problem goes away?

Can you change line 113 in classes/submission/proofreader/ProofreaderAction.inc.php to:

Code: Select all
$proofreader =& $userDao->getById($nextSignoff->getUserId());

The 'getUser' method in your version is deprecated. The new version of the class uses getById instead.

I'd be curious to see if this small change solves your issue.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby lightshadow306 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:13 pm

Dear Jason,
The problem is still there. Is there anyone got the same problem ?
Thank you !
Shadow
lightshadow306

Postby JasonNugent » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:50 am

When you make the change I suggested do you get a different stack trace? The notice you posted should disappear.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby lightshadow306 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:49 pm

Dear Jason,
Thank you !
The messages disappeared, but the main problem is that the author can not send the "proofreading finish email" out, so she/he can not finish this step, by the way, the status for the active is showed "copyedit request" not "proofreading request" it is strang.
lightshadow306

Postby JasonNugent » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:13 pm

Hi again,

Can you try the problem again, but also include the new stack trace? I have tried to duplicate your problem on my own installation, and I cannot. The debug information you provide will be very helpful.

Thanks,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby lightshadow306 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:12 am

Dear Jason,
The stacktrace is just
[Sun Sep 30 06:33:35 2012] [error] [client 42.71.73.178] PHP Notice: No file uploaded in Unknown on line 0, referer: http://***.***.***.***/***/index.php/au ... plete/send
I did not get any more message. I did not upgrade to 2.4.0 successfully at the first time. Perhaps for this reason. my DB was damaged, and it is the reason that I got a lot problems on this release.
lightshadow306

Postby JasonNugent » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:07 pm

Hi Lightshadow,

I guess I I have two suggestions. Do you have an original copy of your database from before you upgraded? Is there any chance that you can try the upgrade again?

The "No file uploaded" notice appears to possibly be an issue with PHP 5.4. What version of PHP are you using? I am basing this on the last comment on:

https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=16747

Which stems from submitting a form that has a file upload field but leaving it empty. The form you are submitting has a field for attaching a file and it sounds like you are not submitting one. You might also try increasing the error_reporting directive in your php.ini file to something like:

error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE

Which will not report notices like this one.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby digilio » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:28 am

lightshadow306 wrote:Dear Jason,
The problem is still there. Is there anyone got the same problem ?
Thank you !
Shadow

I had the same problem and i resolved changing line 510 in pages/author/TrackSubmissionHandler.inc.php to

$send = (bool) array_shift($args);
digilio

Postby asmecher » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:00 am

Hi all,

Thanks, digilio -- that last change has been filed and fixed as http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=8068.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support