OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Terminal Upgrade command won't execute

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Re: Terminal Upgrade command won't execute

Postby aleskl » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:52 am

I just did an upgrade from 2.3.6 to 2.4.0 (by patching) and encountered a similar problem as above, with upgrade.php script not working. I ended up with a non-functioning installation, reporting all sorts of DB errors.

However, deleting "medra" and "datacite" plugins did the trick, and database was also upgraded to 2.4.0 using "php tools/upgrade.php upgrade", luckily!
aleskl

Postby asmecher » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:13 am

Hi aleskl,

That's bug #7848; it's on our recommended patch list for OJS 2.4.0. We'll be releasing a follow-up that resolves these fairly soon; note that 2.4.0 is a development release and you'll be more likely to run into minor issues than you would be with the stable (currently OJS 2.3.7) release.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby aleskl » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:56 am

Thank you Alec!
I corrected both plugin files as described in bug #7848 and the Datacite plugin now works, but the mEDRA plugin fails - it displays only "../../../datacite/classes/form/DOIExportSettingsForm.inc.php". I looked at the source code of the page and that is all that gets output by the medra plugin, either clicking on Settings or Import/export data.
The upgrade.php script now seems to work normally.
aleskl

Postby asmecher » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:07 am

Hi aleskl,

Are you sure that's not something you've inadvertently added while debugging the above problem?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby aleskl » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:43 am

I found out what is the problem with the mEDRA plugin:

The files DOIExportDom.inc.php, DOIExportPlugin.inc.php and PubObjectCache.inc.php in the "/plugins/importexport/medra/classes" directory contain only references to the files in the "/plugins/importexport/datacite/classes" directory, like this: ../../datacite/classes/DOIExportPlugin.inc.php

Also /medra/classes/form/DOIExportSettingsForm.inc.php is empty and contains only reference to the same file in the "datacite" directory.

I replaced the above files in the "medra" directory with the files from the "datacite" directory and now the mEDRA plugin works. I don't know if the .php files containing only reference should work otherwise, but on our server they don't.

I downloaded a fresh copy of the ojs-2.4.0.tar.gz from the PKP website again, to check if I messed up something, but the same .php files containing only references were there in the medra plugin directory.

Regards,
Ales
aleskl

Postby asmecher » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:26 pm

Hi Ales,

See http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=7932; this is an issue with systems that don't support symbolic links. The following files will be affected in this way on your system:
  • plugins/importexport/medra/locale/en_US/common.xml
  • plugins/importexport/medra/locale/de_DE/common.xml
  • plugins/importexport/medra/classes/PubObjectCache.inc.php
  • plugins/importexport/medra/classes/DOIExportDom.inc.php
  • plugins/importexport/medra/classes/form/DOIExportSettingsForm.inc.php
  • plugins/importexport/medra/classes/DOIExportPlugin.inc.php
For each one, find another file of the same name in plugins/importexport/datacite and copy them into the locations above. This will be fixed in the forthcoming 2.4.1 release.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby aleskl » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:01 am

Thank you Alec, I've copied the files you listed. Our server runs on CentOS Linux 5.7, but I don't know why it doesn't supports symbolic links or if I can turn it on.
Regards, Ales
aleskl

Postby asmecher » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:51 am

Hi Ales,

The next release will be made by including explicit copies of those files, so you won't need to worry about symlinks in the future. CentOS supports symlinks, so I suspect it's something that happened during the extraction or upload of OJS to the server.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Previous

Return to OJS Technical Support