OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Nested sections

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Nested sections

Postby andy1 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:13 am

I note from discussions a few years ago that there were no plans to introduce nested sections as part of an upgrade. I could not see a plug in for this, therefore I assume this is still the case.

This might be a really useful feature for my undergraduate research journal, where disciplines could be quickly identified by readers as well as the type of research articles (the current section definition). When there is a particularly lengthy publication, student readers from a particular academic discipline have to trawl through all the articles to see where the relevant articles are to them. Although I group disciplines together, there is no visible demarcation between the groups.

Are nested sections being considered at all?

In the meantime, if I were to change the section names, can I do this so that archived issues remain unaffected?

Many thanks
andy1

Re: Nested sections

Postby asmecher » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:36 am

Hi andy1,

Nested sections certainly aren't off the table, but they aren't a high priority. No progress to report.

For section names that have changed with time, I suggest creating two sections. The old (no longer used) name can be configured as disabled for new submissions.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion