OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Didn't Reach Installation Success Message

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Didn't Reach Installation Success Message

Postby bloggeroo » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:33 am

I just installed OJS in a subdomain in my server, but I didn't get the last message about installation success. And when I access the subdomain, I can see that OJS was installed so I logged in.

All seems fine, but when I look into the subdomain folder, I see that the system is generating errors in the error_log file.
- ojs2 has produced an error
- Message: WARNING: fsockopen() has been disabled for security reasons
- In file: ... /lib/pkp/classes/file/wrappers/HTTPFileWrapper.inc.php
At line: 76
Stacktrace:
Server info:
PHP Version: 5.3.16
Apache Version: N/A
DB Driver: mysql
DB server version: 5.1.63-cll

Anyway, I have reinstalled several times already, but same missing message. What am I doing wrong?
bloggeroo

Re: Didn't Reach Installation Success Message

Postby JasonNugent » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:51 am

Hi bloggeroo,

OJS uses PHP's fsockopen() function to retrieve content from remote servers in order to occasionally inform you that upgrades are available. It sounds like the server host that you are using has this function disabled, and this is why you are seeing this message. It shouldn't affect the day to day operation of OJS, but those messages will continue to accumulate in your log file.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby bloggeroo » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:46 am

Well, I've read about fsockopen() and it seems to be a risky PHP function. So, I'll just keep it disabled.

Anyway, OJS seems to be working fine so I suppose it installed properly. Thanks for the info.
bloggeroo

Postby JasonNugent » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:05 am

hi bloggeroo,

Most things that are deemed 'risky' are usually a result of vulnerabilities in the code or software you're using, rather than in the function itself. I'd be less concerned with fsockopen being enabled than I would with the fopen_url wrapper option in your php.ini file being turned on. fsockopen is used by a lot of other software products other than OJS. But, glad that OJS is working as it should for you in any case.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Return to OJS Technical Support