OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Logout not working quite right.

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Logout not working quite right.

Postby Jim » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:05 pm

OCS v2.3.3.1 Debian 5 Apache2 PHP5

When I click on the Logout link in the User Home page. I'm returned to the User Home page instead of being logged out. If I clear the cookies, and click on the link I'm logged out. This happens using Firefox, Chrome, IE.

I'm a newbie to OCS and PHP. If you need more info let me know. If there's a link for info that should be included in your post let me know. I have read the FAQ's, and searched the forum using the keywords login, and logout.

I found this thread that mentions a problem with IIS redirecting cookies.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2536&p=8882&hilit=login+not+working+login#p8882

The initial link is on a page on an IIS 7.5 server, thats redirected to Apache2. I have the problem even if I use the url on the Linux box and bypass IIS.
Jim

Re: Logout not working quite right.

Postby asmecher » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:51 am

Hi Jim,

That's a strange one -- just to check your client side, could you try logging into and out of our demo install to see if it happens there? Credentials are described at http://pkp.sfu.ca/?q=ocs.

My suspicion is that you've got a strange caching issue somewhere in the chain server-side. Anything you can do to simplify that picture and test out the pieces individually would probably help.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby Jim » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:45 am

asmecher wrote:Hi Jim,

That's a strange one -- just to check your client side, could you try logging into and out of our demo install to see if it happens there? Credentials are described at http://pkp.sfu.ca/?q=ocs.

My suspicion is that you've got a strange caching issue somewhere in the chain server-side. Anything you can do to simplify that picture and test out the pieces individually would probably help.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

No problems logging out of the demo install.

I'm going through the Extended PHP Information "session category" are there any Local or Master values of Directives that you would like to know the value of. Or would it help if I posted the config file?

We had this Drupal sessions problem and were able to fix it by setting the recommended values for the Directives.
http://success.grownupgeek.com/index.ph ... ons-table/

Thanks
Jim

Postby asmecher » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:52 am

Hi Jim,

The only applicable PHP setting that I can think of OTOH is something related to session auto-starting -- though I'm not sure how it could reproduce exactly what you're describing. Are you sure you haven't got an overzealously caching proxy in the middle? Where have your PHP settings diverged from standard?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Jim » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:11 am

Wondering if I should set the session_lifetime to zero?

; Session cookie name
session_cookie_name = OCSSID

; Number of days to save login cookie for if user selects to remember
; (set to 0 to force expiration at end of current session)
session_lifetime = 30

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
; Cache Settings ;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

[cache]

; The type of data caching to use. Options are:
; - memcache: Use the memcache server configured below
; - file: Use file-based caching; configured below
; - none: Use no caching. This may be extremely slow.
; This setting affects locale data, conference settings, and plugin settings.
cache = file

; Choose the type of object data caching to use. Options are:
; - memcache: Use the memcache server configured below
; - xcache: Use the xcache variable store
; - apc: Use the APC variable store
; - none: Use no caching.
object_cache = none

; Enable memcache support
memcache_hostname = localhost
memcache_port = 11211
Jim

Postby asmecher » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:33 am

Hi Jim,

No, those settings should be fine; I'm fairly certain it'll turn out to be a PHP setting or an intermediary proxy cache somewhere on your server side.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Jim » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:33 am

No, those settings should be fine; I'm fairly certain it'll turn out to be a PHP setting or an intermediary proxy cache somewhere on your server side.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Alec,

Thanks for getting back to me. I've inherited this system and I think there is a proxy involved here. I'll need to check with the former admin who is no longer with us. Are you asking me to go through the settings in the Extended PHP Information config file and note the differences between the Master Value which I assume is the default setting and the Local Value and post those?

Thanks Jim
Jim

Postby asmecher » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:37 am

Hi Jim,

Running a diff of your php.ini vs. the stock version would be the easiest way of doing this. However, I'd suggest investigating that proxy first as it's the most likely cause.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Jim » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:28 pm

Running a diff of your php.ini vs. the stock version would be the easiest way of doing this. However, I'd suggest investigating that proxy first as it's the most likely cause.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Update:
We're running haproxy, former admin got back to us and says it's just directing traffic to the servers or domains we want.

I'm searching the web for a stock version of the php.ini file.
But I'm asking you if you have a link to one.

Thanks
Jim

Postby asmecher » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:40 pm

Hi Jim,

Not on hand, no, but it should be fairly straight forward to pull it from the PHP distribution. However, I doubt that will lead to your answer -- I'm still not certain how it would cause the behavior you describe. The proxy is still the likeliest bet. I can't tell from your description how you have it deployed, but is it possible to request the web server directly without going through the proxy?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Jim » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:09 pm

Not on hand, no, but it should be fairly straight forward to pull it from the PHP distribution. However, I doubt that will lead to your answer -- I'm still not certain how it would cause the behavior you describe. The proxy is still the likeliest bet. I can't tell from your description how you have it deployed, but is it possible to request the web server directly without going through the proxy?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

>> is it possible to request the web server directly without going through the proxy?
No you have to go through the proxy.

>>I'm still not certain how it would cause the behavior you describe
I'm not certain on how it would either. But the comparison of the files is a good suggestion. It at least gives me an idea on what the stock php.ini file looks like.ll
If I install PHP and just accept the prompts will I wind up with a stock php.ini file?
I've not installed before but you have to start somewhere:)

I've got a few components in play here, OCS, PHP, Apache2, Nginx, and HAProxy.
Question is which setting in which component.
Jim

Postby asmecher » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:20 pm

Hi Jim,

Can you ssh into the server and use lynx (text-based web browser) to test direct access to the web server? If you can then make the same test via the proxy, it would help eliminate it as a cause.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Jim » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:44 pm

Can you ssh into the server and use lynx (text-based web browser) to test direct access to the web server? If you can then make the same test via the proxy, it would help eliminate it as a cause.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thanks, I'll give it a go.
Jim

Postby Jim » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:08 pm

Regards,
Alec Smecher

By passed the proxy and we still have the problem. It's not the proxy. Anything else come to mind, some setting in Apache maybe?
Jim

Postby asmecher » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:07 pm

Hi Jim,

Hmm, I'm out of darts to throw. Let's start working through this methodically. Can you PM me a URL with some test credentials? I'll see what the cookies are/aren't doing.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Next

Return to OCS Technical Support