OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

OJS 2.4.0 Released

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Re: OJS 2.4.0 Released

Postby Ojser » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:06 pm

Thanks Alec.
I'm trying to follow the web method to upgrade the database (easier for me) but I've found the setting: installed:Off"!
I turned it ON but nothing changed!
For the link in bugzilla, I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with and I don't understand what I have to do with.
Just I noticed the version 2.4.1, is this the version of OJS while it is on the site OJS240?
http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=7848
Ojser

Postby Ojser » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:14 pm

Edit:
The same problem! the blank page comes back!
The upgrade page opened fine but when I hit upgrade, a blank page displays!
I'm not so familiar with the other upgrade option so the problem persists.
By the way, did you test OJS240 in Windows 7?
Ojser

Postby asmecher » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:29 pm

Hi Ojser,

From the Bugzilla entry:
Another solution is to remove either plugins/importexport/medra or plugins/importexport/datacite.
Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby Ojser » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Hi Alec, oufff! The culprit is well MEDRA plugin! Thank you very much!
I remove it and the upgrade worked fine, as well as a new installation too!
So why it is there?
I hope this is not the plugin that has been added to improve the PDF view! Is it?
Actually I'm struggling to install OJS240 mainly to check if the PDF view was improved! Because the PDF view now is not so professional!
I didn't check with the other plugin, datacite, to see if the installation will work without it too, or not.
Anyway, OJS240 works now, but...but, a new problem appears (surely less serious than the previous one but it is an issue though):
The fields with the nice graphical toolbar (to fill up the journal setup steps; journal details, policies, submission, look..) are greyed without any graphical tool around!!
The old ones were much better with the blank background and graphical toolbars below.

If there is a way to recover the old graphical fields?

Regards,
Ojser

Postby springday » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:10 am

Ojser,

you will only need the MEDRA plugin if you use Medra as your DOI registration agency. From your other forum post with your question about DOIs I conclude that you don't use any DOI agency at the moment, so you won't need the Medra-Plugin. It has nothing to do with PDFs.

Best wishes,
Kai
springday

Postby Ojser » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:35 am

Cool, thank you.
Yet, I had an empty pdf file with ojs2.4, after I upload a true pdf!
Does the PDF file display properly in your program, OJS2.4 in this case?
Ojser

Postby springday » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:19 am

Hi Ojser,

yes, I've upgraded our website to OJS 2.4 and the inline PDF-display is ok for me. Here's an example abstract with links to the PDF:

http://www.reinhardt-journals.de/index.php/peu/article/view/3841

However, when dealing with the display of PDF files in browsers you should be aware that some browsers and/or Adobe's PDF software have some user settings that define if PDFs are to be displayed in the browser or in external program windows. Firstly, your browser needs to have a PDF plugin. And secondly, you should have set PDFs to be displayed in the browser.
Note also that OJS has some fall-back behavior: In case a PDF plugin is not installed for a certain browser, it would display a message telling the user how to install the plugin. This works for me, too.
What exactly are your problems with the PDF display?

Greetings,
Kai
springday

Postby Ojser » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:14 am

Hi Kai,

I've a blank pdf page too, without content!
My browser supports well the opening of PDF files.
Are you using Windows or Linux?
Ojser

Postby springday » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:39 am

Ojser,

have you tried different browsers? Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome? All give you the same result? You shoudl try the trouble-shooting that Adobe offers on their website, at least if you're using the Adobe Reader:

http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/cant-view-pdf-web.html

We're using OJS on a Linux webserver, but the clients I use to view the pages are all running under windows, as well as my two localhost test installations. To me the server surrounding doesn't make any difference. No matter if I run OJS on a Windows or a Linux server, the PDF display depends on the client system, not the server.

Cheers,
Kai
springday

Postby Ojser » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:14 pm

springday wrote:Ojser,

have you tried different browsers? Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome? All give you the same result?
Kai

Yes, I have tested in all those browsers but the issue persists. Always a blank page!
I upload a correct PDF file, but it doesn't open! Other PDF files open well in the browsers. This may be an ojs bug in windows as other users have also the same issue.
Ojser

OJS 2.4.0 Instructins

Postby jimnull » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:48 am

I didn't find any instructions to upgrade/install the patch from 2.3.7 to 2.4.0 ... so I uploaded the patch to my server and extracted ... but it appears that didn't do anything. I find OJS frustrating in that instructions seem to be missing or hard to find this being an example of that. Please let me know what needs to be done to install the patch.

Thank you.
jimnull

Postby asmecher » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:57 am

Hi jimnull,

Did you read the instructions in docs/UPGRADE? If so, where did you get stuck?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Re: OJS 2.4.0 Instructins

Postby Ojser » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:46 am

jimnull wrote:I didn't find any instructions to upgrade/install the patch from 2.3.7 to 2.4.0 ... so I uploaded the patch to my server and extracted ... but it appears that didn't do anything. I find OJS frustrating in that instructions seem to be missing or hard to find this being an example of that. Please let me know what needs to be done to install the patch.

Thank you.

Just in case, here is a link:
http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/UPGRADE
Ojser

Postby jimnull » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:50 am

Thanx for the replies and the link (which I didn't have).

Ok ...sounds like to install the patch I need root access at the o/s level of the server which I do not have. I am on a shared hosting server. So does that mean I cannot upgrade via the patch?

If not ... then my only way to upgrade is the full package?

thanx for your replies!
jimnull

Postby asmecher » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:58 am

Hi jimnull,

You don't need root permissions on the server -- unless e.g. the OJS files are owned by root, but that shouldn't be the case. If you have ssh access to your server that should be enough.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

PreviousNext

Return to OJS Technical Support