OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

unwanted users

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

unwanted users

Postby grief » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:03 am

I have hundreds of spam users signed up to the journal - can i stop these spam users but keep the journal open?

thank you
grief

Re: unwanted users

Postby asmecher » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:30 am

Hi grief,

Please search before posting -- there are lots of threads about this already in the forums. See e.g. http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5610 or http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7564.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby michael_clj » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:46 am

Alec, thanks for posting those previous threads, which are very helpful. We're having the same problem and have already identified Captcha as a solution, but is there a way to delete the thousands of already-subscribed spam accounts? It looks like we have about 10,000, and would like to get rid of them, even if it means having to re-enter legitimate readers and editors.

Thanks in advance --

Best,
Michael
michael_clj

Postby asmecher » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:13 am

Hi Michael,

Have a look at tools/mergeUsers.php; you'll probably want to export users to a spreadsheet, figure out which users you want to remove, and then use the user IDs to merge user accounts, effectively deleting spam accounts that way.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby michael_clj » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:00 pm

Thank you so much, Alex -- I really appreciate that.

Best,
Michael
michael_clj

Postby lizlcjp » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:59 am

I am having trouble with the "merge users" feature, in that i will go into the "site administrator" area and "merge users," and once i merge the spam users, i have no idea what to do afterwards in order to remove them from the database. Furthermore, i don't know how to export journal users into excel.

any further direction would be much appreciated, as i have a lot of spam users.

thank you!
lizlcjp

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion