OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

OJS 2.4.0 Released

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

OJS 2.4.0 Released

Postby jmacgreg » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:30 pm

The PKP Development Team is pleased to announce the release of OJS 2.4.0.

OJS 2.4.0 is a development release, and includes many new features. These features include (but are not limited to):

* New translations (including Indonesian and Malayalam), and improvements to existing translations;
* New PDF view plugins;
* Lucene search functionality;
* Improved journal and site browsing options;
* Improved Public Identifier (URN, CrossRef) support;
* Finer-grained article view statistics;
* ... and more.

For complete release notes, see http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/RELEASE-2.4.0. OJS 2.4 can be downloaded at http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs_download.

Many thanks to the various contributors who made this release possible.
jmacgreg

Re: OJS 2.4.0 Released

Postby Ojser » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:05 am

Nice! Thank you very much.
I didn't upgrade yet, but I hope that the update process will be also facilitated soon!
Which is the most safe and less problematic upgrade way in Windows, while keeping all customization made in previous OJS installation?

Regards
Ojser

Postby Ojser » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:08 am

Edit: not working! I've tried to upgrade and/or to make a new install but a blank page displays with the URL:
http://localhost/ojs/index.php/index/install/install !

Hopefully that the multiple "index" in the URL will also be removed in a next upgrade!
Ojser

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:34 pm

Hi OJSer,

A blank page usually means that you ran into some sort of PHP error, something that has been detailed in the FAQ. Please establish what kind of error you are receiving, and post that in a different thread so we can follow up.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby Ojser » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:49 am

Hi James,

I tried to install it using exactly the same PHP and server settings that I used to install OJS2.3.7 (locally). But, I have a blank page without any other message.
I tried to follow the upgrade steps but without success, then I tried to make a clean installation but can't go further than the blank page.

By the way, there are no screen-shots for the new features, in particular for the PDF visualisation?

Thanks
Ojser

Postby JasonNugent » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:12 am

Hi OJSer,

The upgrade process from 2.3.7 to 2.4.0 was tested quite extensively by the PKP team. A blank screen after installation is usually indicative of a permissions problem on a cache directory, which may be the case if you decided to install it in a new directory instead of installing over top of your existing installation.

Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby Ojser » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:56 pm

Hi Jason.
Do you mean that I won't be able to install it on a new directory? and I have to install it only as an upgrade for the previous installation?
If so, this sounds a little bit strange, as a new installation should be the ultimate option for any potential problem with previous installation.
Ojser

Postby JasonNugent » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:00 am

No, you can install it in a new directory. But, you'll need to make sure your permissions on that new directory are correct, just like you did when you originally installed 2.3.7.

Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby Ojser » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:31 pm

Hi Jason,

I'm sorry, I can't install it! I'm using exactly the same settings for OJS237 without any particular restrictions, but still unable to upgrade or to install cleanly!
It would be great if upgrading was also available in an automatic way, in addition to the manual way. Currently, we have the possibility to check the availability of updates, via the system information page, and if so, we are prompted to download either the new version or the patch. But no choice to update OJS automatically, unfortunately.
I understand that some people may prefer to update manually, but for newbies (like me!), automatic updating would be much appreciated.
I moved all OJS240 files to replace all OJS237, except "config.inc.php", public and files folder, but this didn't work!

I've already downloaded the patch file, but I'm not so familiar with commands line (I'm using windows)!
"""If I copy/paste the patch file in the installed OJS folder, will this upgrade OJS? """ :oops:
I found this info:
To update by patching, download the appropriate patch file for your current
version of OJS and run the following command from your OJS directory:

Code: Select all
 $ patch -p1 < PATCH_FILE

What is meant by running the command from OJS directory?
(Could this be done from Apache menu or WAMP server?
Ojser

Postby springday » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:41 am

Hi Ojser,

just copying the patch file into the OJS directly won't do any upgrade. I applied the patch on a windows system yesterday. Here is what I did, hope it would work for you too:

1) Installed Patch for Windows (http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/patch.htm, downloaded and installed "Complete package, except sources")
2) Opened the patch file in the Notepad++ text editor, pressed Strg+H to open the Search-and-replace dialog. There I clicked on "Search Mode" = "Extended". In the field "Find what" I entered "\n" and in the field "replace with" I entered "\r\n". This converts the UNIX line breaks to Windows line breaks
3) Then open the Windows command prompt (Press Windows key and "R" simultaneously, enter "cmd" and press return).
4) In this box you enter "cd" plus the path to your OJS-installation and press return
5) Now you can enter the command patch -p1 < NAME OF PATCH_FILE.
springday

Postby pyshen » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:02 am

Hi

I am having trouble upgrading OJS.

I'm having 2 problems first I get an error when I login after upgrading it says
DB Error: Unknown column 'suffix' in field list'

The 2nd error is under the Site Administration
After I upgrade it still thinks I am running 2.3.7 I see a yellow triangle on the Site Administration page saying
"There is a new version of OJS available! You are currently using OJS 2.3.7.0 The most recent version is OJS 2.4.0.0 Please visit this page to download the most recent version and find upgrade instructions."

Phil
pyshen

Postby asmecher » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:06 am

Hi Phil,

Have you upgraded the database? See docs/UPGRADE for full instructions.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby pyshen » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:15 am

Yes I did upgrade the database php tools/upgrade.php upgrade

I had also tried tried the web upgrade option after I got the error I figured possibly it might be a database didn't upgrade correctly. So I tried the web upgrade option.

During the web upgrade option when I click the upgrade link i get a blank page after hitting upgrade.

Don't know if this makes a difference but I don't think it should we have apache and php on one box and our Database MySQL is on a differnt server its not all on the same box.

Phil
pyshen

Postby asmecher » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:18 am

Hi Phil,

It sounds like the database upgrade didn't complete successfully. Most likely you're running into http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9015&p=35006#p35006.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby Ojser » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:31 pm

springday wrote:Hi Ojser,

just copying the patch file into the OJS directly won't do any upgrade. I applied the patch on a windows system yesterday. Here is what I did, hope it would work for you too:

1) Installed Patch for Windows (http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/patch.htm, downloaded and installed "Complete package, except sources")
2) Opened the patch file in the Notepad++ text editor, pressed Strg+H to open the Search-and-replace dialog. There I clicked on "Search Mode" = "Extended". In the field "Find what" I entered "\n" and in the field "replace with" I entered "\r\n". This converts the UNIX line breaks to Windows line breaks
3) Then open the Windows command prompt (Press Windows key and "R" simultaneously, enter "cmd" and press return).
4) In this box you enter "cd" plus the path to your OJS-installation and press return
5) Now you can enter the command patch -p1 < NAME OF PATCH_FILE.

Hi Springday, and thanks for your answer.
I tried to follow your description but when I arrive to enter the patch command (patch p1 >ojs-2.3.7_to_2.4.0.patch) in the cdm.exe, a new window of "patch.exe" opens but empty. I tried to put again the same command as above but nothing happens!
Ojser

Next

Return to OJS Technical Support