OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

multi-lingual titles

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

multi-lingual titles

Postby gusleonard » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:25 pm

I just installed a test of OCS and am very happy with what is promised here. We've just uploaded much of a previous conference that we ran by hand and see some real time savings with OCS! Thank you for bringing this along!
Now for the problems:
We hold a small conference for our students prior to graduation and they need to present in a foreign language. I want the titles to be submitted both in English and in Japanese or Spanish. I've set the abstract area to multilingual, but the title area doesn't seem to ask for that in the config section. Looking at the tables via phpMyAdmin they seem set similarly.
Any way to do it? The Spanish is fine, but Japanese breaks if pasted from HTML or from MSWord.
example: 日本の携帯電話発達と社会への影響
The Growth and Development of Cell Phones and
its Effect on Japanese Society
vs. see: http://denesanders.com/ocs/viewabstract.php?id=3&cf=2
Or do I program in a new field for a second title?
(I plan to run this as a multi-conf system on one server. Don't know if the second title would follow to all installations).
Major conference in March 2007, need system up by 9/2006 for proposals. Can't wait for OCS2 in Jan 07...
Thanks!
gusleonard

Postby asmecher » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:47 pm

Hi gusleonard,

Unfortunately, you might need to wait for OCS 2 for a full implementation of this sort of multi-linguality. In the meantime, you might consider experimenting with a multi-conference installation where each language goes to a different conference; this would take some coordination on the part of the editorial board, but might work with a minimum of development effort. Alternately, adding a new title field would probably not be too difficult.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Return to OCS Technical Support