OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Random Allocation of Articles

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Random Allocation of Articles

Postby amecily » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:30 am

Hi there,

I was wondering if it is possible to randomly allocate articles to editors in the OJS system?

Thanks,
Amy
amecily

Re: Random Allocation of Articles

Postby ramon » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:04 am

Hello Amy,

If you are talking about automatic assignment, then I believe there is nothing of the sort.
The only way to automatically assign an editor is to make the user the (only) Section Editor.
Otherwise, the main Editor is responsible for assigning him/herself to the submission or another Editor/Section Editor.

It would be a nice addition to OJS, although PKP would have to measure how important this feature is in relation to the complexity of developing it.

Instituto Brasileiro de Informação em Ciência e Tecnologia - IBICT
Ministério da Ciência e Tecnologia - MCT
ramon

Postby amecily » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:25 am

Hi Ramón,

Thanks a lot for the response. I am referring to the peer review process - is there a way to randomly assign articles to reviewers, not editors?
And if not, are you not aware of anyone who has customised OJS to implement this functionality?

Thanks,
Amy
amecily

Postby ramon » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:25 am

Hello Amy,

This is the first time I read someone asking for this type of feature, although it would be actually interesting to automate the reviewer designation process, which is definitely quite tedious, but rather necessary.

It should be possible, but OTOH it would be seem quite a complex undertaking, lots of variables to account for (profile, bio, interests, availability - which is only defined during the designation process), automation of email sending.

I haven't heard of anyone customizing OJS this way.

I believe that an international reviewer database and service would be required in order to make this work more appropriately, in order to centralize the reviewer data and its integrity and quality, as well as making it a more generic service, available to any peer-review process, not only OxS.

Instituto Brasileiro de Informação em Ciência e Tecnologia - IBICT
Ministério da Ciência e Tecnologia - MCT
ramon

Return to OJS Technical Support