OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Translation broken on one page after upgrade

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Translation broken on one page after upgrade

Postby doana » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:54 am

Hi all,

I'm new to OJS. Please forgive me if this is a silly question.

So I'm running through the upgrade procedures on a development copy of our OJS install. I have successfully upgraded both the code and the DB from 2.2.4 to 2.3.7. After the upgrade however, there is one issue: The translation seems partially broken on the issue/archive page.

From what I can tell, it seems like none of the translation keys defined in locale/en_US/locale.xml are being used. Other translation strings defined in lib/pkp/locale/en_US/common.xml work fine. In fact, I can copy and paste the releveant sections of locale/en_US/locale.xml into lib/pkp/locale/en_US/common.xml and then everything works as expected.

It's strange, because the same translation strings are being used on other pages in the site without issue. Some of the strings are in common elements (header and navigation) that are being included in other templates just fine.

So, does anyone have any ideas about what would cause this behaviour?

Thanks for your help!
-Adam
doana

Re: Translation broken on one page after upgrade

Postby asmecher » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:56 am

Hi Adam,

The most likely thing is that your locale/en_US/locale.xml contains a typo of some kind that's preventing it from being loaded. Try validating that XML file, using xmllint or an online XML validator.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby doana » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:20 pm

asmecher wrote:Hi Adam,

The most likely thing is that your locale/en_US/locale.xml contains a typo of some kind that's preventing it from being loaded. Try validating that XML file, using xmllint or an online XML validator.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thanks Alec. Unfortunately, it comes back clean. I ran:
Code: Select all
xmllint --valid --noout locale.xml

Any other ideas?
doana

Postby asmecher » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:27 pm

Hi Adam,

Are there any modifications to the system, in particular to pages/issue/IssueHandler.inc.php? If locale keys from locale/en_US/locale.xml are not loading but only for that one page, IssueHandler is the most likely place to look. If you upgraded by patch, were any .rej files left over? To be sure, you could run a comparison against a stock version.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby doana » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:34 am

asmecher wrote:Hi Adam,

Are there any modifications to the system, in particular to pages/issue/IssueHandler.inc.php? If locale keys from locale/en_US/locale.xml are not loading but only for that one page, IssueHandler is the most likely place to look. If you upgraded by patch, were any .rej files left over? To be sure, you could run a comparison against a stock version.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hey Alec,

Sorry it took me a while to get back to this. This was exactly the issue. Manually applying the failed hunks of the patch fixed the issue.

Thanks for all of your help,
-Adam
doana

Return to OJS Technical Support