OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

How the css files are set up

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

How the css files are set up

Postby Magpie » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:11 pm

The css files on the install seem to be in two folders thesite/lib/pkp/styles (or something like that - quoting from memory) and thesite/styles.

Why is this? I have been trying to change the css files but it is taking ages figuring out what is going on. I can't fathom why there are so many css files, or why they are in two places. I don't know smarty either so it's limiting things because I could find it a lot more easily if it was in html! Can anyone enlighten me?
Magpie

Re: How the css files are set up

Postby asmecher » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:35 am

Hi Magpie,

The contents of lib/pkp are shared across all of our applications -- OJS, OCS, OHS, and OMP. The CSS that you find there is used in all of our applications. The styles/ subdirectory is OJS-specific.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby Magpie » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:33 pm

Thanks for the information. Does this mean I can just delete them without affecting anything then? Can I delete the entire folder?
Magpie

Postby asmecher » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:49 pm

Hi Magpie,

If you delete them, you'll lose a lot of styling. All of those CSS files are used. What styling changes are you trying to make?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Magpie » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:47 am

Quite a lot actually. How comes the css files are referenced in both places? Narrowing the css down to one folder would be a good start for me and I think I might be able to figure it out after that.

I want the colours to change (have managed this a bit, but needs work) title image to be central (have acheived this) the login and search side bare to remain in the same place but to be able to have a header to footer background rather than just a small background on each. I also want to get rid of the second header altogether as I want to indicate the current page by changing the current page in the navigation links instead.

These are things I know how to do with plain html and css but the smarty thing throws me off. I have messed the formatting and acheived some things but the navigation links are way down at the footer as is the content and it's only the header and sidebar being where they should be. In order to do this properly I need to figure out which bits are happening and when they are being referenced (and by what) or it is a rather long process!
Magpie

Postby asmecher » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:32 am

Hi Magpie,

I would suggest working with a tool like Firebug to help locate CSS in multiple files. This will probably make your task a lot easier.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support