OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Feature request: ORCID support

OCS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page. While these are OJS-specific, the OCS codebase is similar enough to OJS they should be of help. There is also an [url=http://pkp.sfu.ca/ocs_documentation[/url]OCS Documentation[/url] page with some more general documentation that might also be of interest.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OCS Technical Support subforum.

Feature request: ORCID support

Postby MartinEve » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:55 pm

Now the ORCID project is set to launch, I wondered if OJS had any plans to implement support for this. Alternatively, if not, ideas on how best to begin implementing this would be appreciated and I could have a go.

I assume the best way to do this would be to add an ORCID field to the User Profile that then triggers an OAuth call to update the ORCID records. This would require each journal to have an ORCID membership, as per CrossRef etc.

ORCID launch plan: http://about.orcid.org/content/orcid-la ... -announced
ORCID membership information: http://about.orcid.org/membership

Any comments welcome.
MartinEve

Re: Feature request: ORCID support

Postby asmecher » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:07 pm

Hi MartinEve,

We're interested in it ourselves, and hope to get cracking on it in the upcoming months. Contributions are totally welcome, of course. One place to start would be to build tools to link author entries with user entries -- they don't currently correspond, and never should correspond 1:1 anyway, lest a change in a user's profile lead to a change in the published author record on something like a change of institution. I'd be happy to describe this further if you're interested in starting.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Re: Feature request: ORCID support

Postby MartinEve » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:57 am

Thanks for the response; I realised I posted this in the OCS panel by mistake -- I meant it to reside in the OJS section, but oh well.

So the mechanism needed would have to be as it is as present, but with an additional field that links to an account profile ID. Display of an article should always register the details provided at time of submission/publication, but for ORCID purposes, the link would be needed to the account, which could then hold the ORCID?

My primary question before starting any dev work is: would this have to be extended so that every author on an article would have an account? At present only the submitter needs an account...
MartinEve

Return to OCS Development