OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Bulk removal of users

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Bulk removal of users

Postby tdwilson » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:15 pm

I have many users who have self-registered with nonsense names, such as: "222 Efferemek Efferemek EfferemekHJ" - they usually begin with a number as in this case, but in other cases simply have a nonsense name repeated, such as "dskfcwbu eggbttxwft eggbttxwft eggbttxwft" - I suspect that these are false identities designed to provide the person with a hook into the system for purposes of either hacking or identity theft. At present, the only way to get rid of these is to delete them individually - there is no bulk removal capability in the system. It would be nice to have such a capability. Also, when a person is removed from, say, page 25, the system takes me back to page 1 and then I have to go through sever iterations to get back to page 25 - this is a nightmare when there are several hundred such "users" to be removed. Can we look forward to some revision of the removal process in a future update?
tdwilson

Re: Bulk removal of users

Postby barbarah » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:24 am

Hi tdwilson,

I think what you want to use is the "Merge Users" functionality: http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/docs/userguide/2. ... Merge.html
This allows you to remove users in bulk. Not sure if it works well across multiple pages of users or not, but at least that should allow you to remove a pageful at a time.

Or if it's an intractable number of fake users, you can do it programmatically, i.e. directly in the database (but that's a bit scarier, of course :-): viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8271

Hope that helps,
Barbara
barbarah

Return to OJS Technical Support