OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

session_is_registered et al.

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

session_is_registered et al.

Postby osborne » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:41 pm

Session.inc.php uses the session_is_registered function and related functions, which are deprecated as of PHP5.3.0. Are there plans to replace them?
osborne

Re: session_is_registered et al.

Postby mcrider » Mon May 02, 2011 10:55 am

Hi Martin,

Thanks for spotting--I've filed the bug here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6628

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby aftavaresjr » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:59 am

Hello friends, I have a problem with OJS here and I'm not sure solve. If you can help I am immensely grateful.
I was having problems as the variable "session_is_registered" that was interrupted by PHP and could not access the system because of an error with it. I had upgraded from PHP 5.3 to 5.4.
I made the changes suggested here on the forum, comment out the line that contains a call to the function in the file Session.inc.php and it worked, but not everything.
The page view "(page User) Managing Editor -> (settings and tools) configuration" simply does not open anything. It is blank and shows nothing.
I can not see anything in error logs, both apache and php.
Does anyone have a tip or idea of what can be?

thank you
hugs
Alfredo
aftavaresjr

Postby springday » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:54 am

I have the same problem as aftavaresjr after upgrading from PHP 5.3 to 5.4. The page BASE_DIR/index.php/fi/manager/setup remains blank. I do not get an error message in the browser and can't find any info in Apache's or PHP's logs.

I've run xdebug to trace the program execution, but being an amateur I can't find the answer to what's going wrong. Anyway, the program run-through is ending with a two calls to "ADODB_mysql->ErrorNo()" from ojs-2.3.7\lib\pkp\classes\db\DAO.inc.php:200 and "mysql_errno(resource(53) of type (mysql link persistent))" from ojs-2.3.7\lib\pkp\lib\adodb\drivers\adodb-mysql.inc.php:515. Dies mysql error-number "resoure(53)" help anything to track down the problem with the deprecated "session_is_registered"-function?
The very last line on the stack trace is "SessionManager->close()" from \ojs-2.3.7\lib\pkp\classes\session\SessionManager.inc.php:0, which returns TRUE.

Best wishes,
Kai
springday

Postby springday » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:10 am

I'm one step (i.e. one error message) further:

Fatal error: Call-time pass-by-reference has been removed in C:\xampp\htdocs\ojs-2.3.7\pages\manager\SetupHandler.inc.php on line 193

So now I wonder if I'm in the right forum at all - is this error related with the disabling of "session_is_registered" or not? Can I change the code line

Code: Select all
$journal =& $router->getContext(&$request);

to

Code: Select all
$journal =& $router->getContext($request);

without negative side effects?
springday

Postby asmecher » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:58 am

Hi Kai,

Yes, you can remove the ampersand in that case to fix the warning. I'll file and commit this for the next release. (See http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=7717 for the same change in patch form.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support