OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Problem with email Authentication

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Problem with email Authentication

Postby Safram » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:16 am

Hello,

I'm experiencing some difficulty with the "Email Settings" configuration. I understand plain SMTP configuration uses port 25 without any authentication whatsoever. Problem is, the server I'm trying to use (which I don't have access to), apparently doesn't support TLS authentication via port 465. So, I have to use port 25, which works OK, but I do want to associate an existing email account to centralize all OJS mail from there. Until now I've only been able to succesfully use port 25 without authentication data.

Configurations that worked previously:

smtp = On
smtp_sever = [My_server_IP]
smtp_port = 25

smtp_auth = [BLANK]
smtp_username = [BLANK]
smtp_password = [BLANK]

smtp = On
smtp_server = tls://smtp.googlemail.com
smtp_port = 465

smtp_auth = LOGIN
smtp_username = [GMAIL account]
smtp_password = [password]

I've noticed the mail server supports SMTP authentication, but via NTLM protocol; it obviously runs a Windows architecture. Is there a way to use port 25 while associating an email account? Thanks for any help given.
Safram

Re: Problem with email Authentication

Postby Safram » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:16 am

Okay, about this matter. I've advanced considerably towards solving it.

Using Thunderbird, I can send mail to external addresses from within the mailbox I want to set up. So there should be no problem doing it with OJS.

What I want to do is send and control all mail from OJS from one mailbox. As I said the server uses NTLM authentication. Taking a look at Wikipedia, it suggests that I should put DIGEST-MD5 as my authentication method in the config file in OJS (config.inc). I try

smtp_server = Server IP
smtp_port = 25

smtp_auth = DIGEST-MD5
smtp_username = Username, the one that works in Thunderbird
smtp_password = Password, the one that works in Thunderbird

but it doesn't work. PHP error file simply says "Could not authenticate", which could be due to the authentication method, invalid username or invalid password.
Safram

Return to OJS Technical Support