OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

How to add Twitter follow button to site footer

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

How to add Twitter follow button to site footer

Postby jayfitzsimmons » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:01 am

Hello OJSers,

I just figured out how to add a Twitter follow button to the footer of my journal's OJS site. This encourages our journal website's visitors to follow our journal's Twitter stream (in which we announce new articles and tweet about subject matter relevant to our journal's audience ... basically our way of building a community among our readers and driving Twitter readers to our journal's website). It is easy to add a Twitter feed button, so here is my description of how in case others are interested.

Step 1. Get the Twitter button code from https://twitter.com/about/resources/buttons#follow If you are logged in to your Twitter account it will automatically fill in your Twitter account info into the code. Copy the code.

Step 2. Paste the code into your OJS site's footer. Log in as Journal Manager, Go to Journal Setup > Step 5 (the look) > Journal Footer. Click on the html button so you can paste the html code of the Twitter button. When you update & close the html box, the preview of the footer will look like plain words instead of a nice button, but it will look like a button once you save your setup changes.

Step 3. You're done. The bottom of every page should have a nice follow button, like ours (see screen pic below).

Screenshot of Twitter button.jpg
Screenshot of Twitter button.jpg (13.35 KiB) Viewed 1200 times

I hope this helps others,
Jay Fitzsimmons
The Canadian Field-Naturalist (http://www.canadianfieldnaturalist.ca)
jayfitzsimmons

Return to OJS Development