OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Author cannot upload revised version after director decision

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Author cannot upload revised version after director decision

Postby ramon » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:50 am

Hello all,

We are using OCS 2.3.3.1.
It went to production with 25 applied patches and 2 that did not apply.
After applying the new recommended patches (there are 40+ listed now...), the author cannot upload the revised version after the Director's decision of "Revisions Required".
I'm pretty sure that this was possible a few days ago, since I performed the task for an author a few days back (before the patches were applied), but I don't remember anymore if I "logged in as" the author or did it as Director...

Anyone with a similar issue?
How do I solve this, besides logging in as Director and uploading the file (if it was supposed to be available for the author)?

Our conference is using "Abstract and Proposal" as the submission process.

I don't have access to the server, and don't know what patch may have caused this, if it was indeed a patch the troublemaker...

[UPDATE]
Also, are there not multiple rounds of review in OCS as there are in OJS?
ramon

Re: Author cannot upload revised version after director decision

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:02 pm

Hi Ramon,

I can't seem to replicate this. A few questions:

- are you sure that the director notified the author using the email template under review that revisions are required?
- does the author see "Paper in review: revisions required" listed under the Status column for that submission, in their Active submissions queue?
- how exactly are they not allowed to upload the file? Eg. is the upload field on the submission's review page greyed out?

Regarding the multiple rounds of review question -- you are correct, OCS only has the one round currently. See http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2796 for more information.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby ramon » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:48 am

Hi James,
jmacgreg wrote:- are you sure that the director notified the author using the email template under review that revisions are required?

YES

jmacgreg wrote:- does the author see "Paper in review: revisions required" listed under the Status column for that submission, in their Active submissions queue?

YES
jmacgreg wrote:- how exactly are they not allowed to upload the file? Eg. is the upload field on the submission's review page greyed out?

The upload field is grayed out.
ramon

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:39 pm

Hi Ramon,

Hrm, I still can't replicate this. Any chance you could set me up as an author/director in that conference, so I could upload and test with a dummy submission? If that's possible, please feel free to email me directly at my regular email and I'll look into it ASAP. If that's not possible, I'll continue digging.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Re: Author cannot upload revised version after director deci

Postby kgentilello » Wed May 02, 2012 11:00 am

Hi,

I am also having this exact same problem and the organizers of this conference are very frustrated. I am trying to help them but I am fairly new to the system.

Has there been any resolution on this problem? The Track Directors in my conference have changed all their director decisions to "revisions required" in an attempt to activate the upload author version browse/upload feature on the author's side. I have gone through and exported a reviews report and have since gone back through the system comparing reviewers decisions, submission status and the ability to upload the author version and cannot seem to find a link.

Please assist if you can!

Thanks!
kgentilello

Postby waluyo » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:07 am

I have also the same problem.
Two authors reported to me the the upload is not active, so they cannot upload the revised version after notified by the track director.

I tried to login the author account and it is grey out, not active.

How can I activate the upload? The track director has notified correctly, also recorded in the blue icon.

Regards, Waluyo
waluyo

Postby ramon » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:33 am

Hello all,

I don't remember if I ever managed to solve my problem.
However, if memory serves, it may have to do with the submission end dates, as well as the type of submission chosen and the editorial decision.

Instituto Brasileiro de Informação em Ciência e Tecnologia - IBICT
Ministério da Ciência e Tecnologia - MCT
ramon

Postby waluyo » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:53 am

The problems only several authors. So far two reported the problem.
The decision Revision Required. I tried to resent the notification from TD account but did not help.
Other authors, they can upload.

Regards, waluyo
waluyo

Postby ramon » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:42 am

Hello Waluyo,

Then I suspect you may be running into a database inconsistency.
Did you change your submission type after the conference became online and that submissions were sent?
This may be causing the submission to be blocked somehow.
Or, it's a completely different issue.

ramon

Postby waluyo » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:27 am

It looks the same problem here and remain unsolved
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4559&p=17761&hilit=upload+author+version#p17761

I am stuck, cannot find any solution.

regards, waluyo
waluyo

Postby waluyo » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:57 pm

Now I know the problem why authors cannot upload revised version. It was the mistake of the track director.

This is the typical case:
The track director assigned 3 reviewers for a submitted paper.
Two reviewers already completed the task with recommendation revision required, and one reviewer did not give any response.
The track director decided to notify author "revision required" based on two reviewers. The unfinished review of the third reviewer blocked the author to upload revised version (upload is not active).

To solve the problem:
All unfinished reviews must be cancelled. After cancelling all reviewers with unfinished review, the upload box in author account is then active, can be used to upload the revised version.

If a reviewer answers with unable to review, this will not block the author to upload.

That's not found in the manual, but I found after using OCS. Hope, useful to others too.

Regards,
Waluyo
waluyo

Postby ramon » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:44 am

Hello Waluyo,

Thank you for your post!
I knew it was something simple like that, but couldn't remember it at all, as it happened last year (memory leaks prevent me from storing too much information... so caches get cleared) and I forgot to report it here for future reference.

ramon

Postby MRAR » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:56 am

I also have an author who cannot submit his revised submission.

One reviewer has not provided his judgement, but chose "See comments". Is it possible that that causes the problem?

Hans [MRAR]
MRAR

Postby asmecher » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:15 am

Hi Hans,

It's the Director's decision that has to be Revisions Required; the Reviewer won't affect this aspect of the workflow. If that doesn't resolve the problem, what version of OCS are you using?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OCS Technical Support