OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

[SOLVED] Recover config in 2.1.1 from 2.x without updating?

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

[SOLVED] Recover config in 2.1.1 from 2.x without updating?

Postby mbria » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:09 am

Hi fellows,

Imagine that you have panic of updates scripts (no ofense to ojs programes... just a personal phobia).
Imagine you made a clean install of the (great) new 2.1.1 release.
Imagine you configure your former 2.x system and you feel happy with it.
Imagine you made tones of test in your former 2.x, so...

You like recover your site and magazines configuration, but not users and articles.

Is there any easy way to do this with OJS or I must upgrade?

May I dump some tables from my former 2.1.0.1 and recover them in my new 2.1.1? In other words: Any schema changes or do you preview any collateral damages from this "database recover" approach?

And finally: Do you know witch tables must I dump? (If it took you a lot of time to describe, I will make my own research)

As always, THANKS a lot for you unvaluable help,

m.
Last edited by mbria on Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
mbria

Postby asmecher » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:58 am

Hi mbria,

Why not duplicate the 2.1.0 database and perform the upgrade on the copy? This would have basically the same result as the method you suggest, but wouldn't involve so much manual intervention.

To see how the schema has changed between 2.1.0 and 2.1.1, see http://research2.csci.educ.ubc.ca/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ojs2/dbscripts/xml/ojs_schema.xml.diff?f=s&r1=text&tr1=1.1&r2=text&tr2=1.120.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Just what I though some minutes after...

Postby mbria » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:29 am

Just what I though some minutes after sending this post... sorry to annoye :oops:

If I catch you the process with be something like:
    a) Duplicate former installed version.
    b) Upgrade the 2.1.0.1 duplicated to the new 2.1.1
    c) Dump appropiate tables (now with 2.1.1 schema.
    d) Restore configuration tables in the "clean" OJS 2.1.1

Are you suggesting this?

For a "simple configuation" I belive you only need journal_settings, journals, sections, site.

Thanks asmecher for always been there,

m.
mbria

Postby asmecher » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:39 am

Hi mbria,

Your set of steps looks good to me -- don't forget that you'll have to reload the email templates (see administrator's Languages interface) and reading tools (see Manager's Reading Tools settings) from XML. You might need to bring across a few additional tables as well, depending on what features you're using (e.g. scheduled_tasks, countries, etc).

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Sure !

Postby mbria » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:49 am

Thanks a lot Alec for the fastest feedback I ever had. :-)

I didn't change the reading tools, but I missed email templates tables. Thanks to remember.

Take care,

m.

PD: Increasing the counter to 701. New OJS magazine will be released after vacations. :-P
mbria

Return to OJS Technical Support