OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

OJS and law reviews

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

OJS and law reviews

Postby lschiff » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:02 pm

We are exploring using OJS to support the publication of law reviews, which have unique publishing practices. I'm wondering if anyone on this list is using OJS for law reviews and if you have customized it in any way to support the workflows specific to this field.

Thanks in advance.
Lisa
-----------------------------------------------
Lisa Schiff
California Digital Library
University of California
lisa.schiff@ucop.edu
eScholarship (http://www.escholarship.org)
lschiff

Re: OJS and law reviews

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:39 am

Hi Lisa,

Apologies for the delay in responding to you -- that was a forum configuration error on my part. I have been in touch with a few institutions who are, or are interested in using OJS for law reviews. I will send you a private email with their contact information.

PKP is committed to supporting the American law review community, and it would be great if you could keep us apprised of your progress, and let us know if you have any comments, suggestions, etc. as you continue using OJS. Law reviews use different submission and review workflows than other scholarly journals that we are used to working with; as such, there are a few areas which we have already looked into that will most likely need some attention in order for OJS to be particularly useful for these journals:

-- We have investigated supporting the ExpressO manuscript submission system. We don't think this is currently feasible, as we are not sure that significant gains would be seen in tighter integration. (You may want to look at the Quick Submit or Expedited Submission submission processes to quickly move submissions from ExpressO to OJS. If you have any questions, let me know.)

-- We have also investigated making OJS a bit more flexible in terms of what parts of the interface are viewable to Editors. For example, if Editors don't use the peer review system in OJS, that shouldn't even be a part of their interface. The idea would be to provide a much more streamlined and intuitive interface for journals with an especially high editorial turnover rate. This should be possible in future versions of OJS.

We're happy to return to the ExpressO issue down the road, and also discuss any other law review-specific issues.

We are also interested in fostering -- or helping foster -- a larger OJS law review community network for student editors and associated librarians. This may be something you want to discuss with the contacts I send your way. I'm sure that as more law reviews move to OJS, more folks will be in exactly your position, and could doubtless benefit from having access to community support.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion