OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

HOW-TO: Import and Export Data Using OJS

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Re: HOW-TO: Import and Export Data Using OJS

Postby mcrider » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:51 pm

Hi jay,

If you put the files in your your 'files' directory (the one you specified when you installed OJS), which should not be web-accessible anyway, the files will be served from there and users can't get to it without going through OJS and the subscription service.

I'm not sure about XML Notepad, but there's plenty of free options out there.. Either xmllint on unix-based systems, or any number of web-based validation services (e.g. http://www.xmlvalidation.com/).

Also, just to make sure, you've read this, right? : http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php/Importing_and_Exporting_Data

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby jayfitzsimmons » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:06 am

Thank you for the help Matthew. I'll have to talk with the web person who created the Files directory to see what the directory is, and how I can move files there. That's good to know those files are behind OJS's subscription service.

I have another question. I've added a couple of back-issue articles using the "Web-based Expedited Submission Process." It is fairly straightforward. My only concern is whether or not the user meta-data I enter during Step 2 of the submission procedure (i.e., author affiliations, countries) are preserved if I use this expedited process. If they are preserved then I'm very happy because we want to do some analyses of authorship trends with respect to country and affiliation of authors, which I assume should be fairly straightforward with these metadata. If these metadata are not preserved, then I won't waste my time entering data into these fields (other than author names, article title, and abstract). Do you or anyone else know whether these metadata are preserved in the expedited process in a way that journal managers/editors can later use for analyses? I am still not sure whether I will use the expedited or xml method for importing back issue articles, but the metadata issue is a factor in my decision.

Thank you in advance for anyone who can help me.
Jay
Ottawa, Canada
jayfitzsimmons

Postby mcrider » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:57 am

Hi Jay,

The expedited submission process is the same as the regular submission process, you just have an option to skip the review of the submission (so all the metadata thats stored is the same). For something quicker, look into the 'QuickSubmit' plugin (available from the JM's import/export plugins page)--This puts the submission process into one page and is quite a bit quicker than the regular process.

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby jayfitzsimmons » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:43 pm

Thank you again for the help Matt. I cannot seem to find the QuickSubmit plugin in my journal manager account. The import/export plugins I see are:
-METS XML Export Plugin
-PubMed XML Export Plugin
-Users XML Plugin
-Erudit Article Export Plugin
-Articles & Issues XML Plugin
-DOAJ Export Plugin
-CrossRef XML Export Plugin

I am using OJS version 2.2.4.0. Is the QuickSubmit plugin on a newer non-stable version of OJS, or is it part of one of these other plugins?

Jay
jayfitzsimmons

Postby mcrider » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:49 pm

Hi Jay,

Sorry, no, the QuickSubmit plugin only comes with/works with the 2.3 line of OJS.

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby jayfitzsimmons » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:52 pm

mcrider wrote:Sorry, no, the QuickSubmit plugin only comes with/works with the 2.3 line of OJS.

Thanks for the help. I'm using the Web-based Expedited Submission Process now and it's going well for me.
Jay
jayfitzsimmons

Postby JoMullins » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:38 am

Hi,

I'm having the same problem as Jennifer: unable to find Appendix B - and the Users DTD.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what are the full file extensions, or where do I find them? I have the following information but still haven't been able to find them, and have looked both in my OJS installation and within http://pkp.sfu.ca/

1) The users DTD:
"The Users XML Plugin can be used to import and export single or multiple users. You can view the complete DTD here: plugins/importexport/users/users.dtd. The root element is <users>. "

2) Appendix B
"You can view a sample XML user import file in Appendix B, and also in your OJS installation at plugins/importexport/users/sample.xml. "
(I couldn't find it following James's instruction to Jennifer, either sorry: "There's a sample file included with the plugin -- take a look at plugins/importexport/users/sample.xml." )

If someone could perhaps tell me the full file path and/or where precisely I shoul look that would be really handy.

Many thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Jo
JoMullins

Postby asmecher » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:45 am

Hi Jo,

Those paths are within your OJS installation, i.e. if OJS is installed to: /var/www/ojs
...then the DTD will be at /var/www/ojs/plugins/importexport/users/users.dtd

You can also find the current versions of these through our Github repository at http://github.com/pkp/ojs.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby JoMullins » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:34 pm

Hi Alec,

Thanks for your very speedy response!

I've successfully downloaded the files.

Sorry for such a stupid question: our URL is a bit obscure and - after you'd confirmed I should be able to find the files within our OJS installation - I realised that the problem was I hadn't actually gone to the base URL of our OJS site, so of course the /.../ (etc) as published on your website couldn't work.

Thank you very much for your help :D

Cheers,
Jo
JoMullins

Postby rhett » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:49 am

Hello,

I am completely new to OJS and just setting things up. One of the steps is to import the journal archives going back to 1940 and so I've been working through the documentation on the Importexport plugin.

I have a large number of our journal's archive metadata in RIS format, which is fairly easily converted into a number of other formats. However, I cannot see a way of coverting it to the native.dtd used here. I am hoping someone can suggest a solution. :D

Thanks Rhett
rhett

Postby theodore » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:02 am

you can convert them as xml. i suppose it will be easy.
the "Articles & Issues XML Plugin" i think permits to import xml metadata.
theodore

Postby rhett » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:10 pm

Using bibutils it is easy to covert them to XML in the MODs format, but I do not know how to go to the native.dtd used by OJS.
rhett

Postby philipm » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:45 am

I don't know if I'm on the right issue here but I recently inherited an OJS journal, and the information for authors currently points at templates and LaTex and Bibtex styles etc. on another server, and I would like to move them to the journal site. Is there an easy way to put these files on the OJS server using the web interface, or must I ask the sysadmins to put the files into the public directory so I can point to them from the journal site? So far I've managed to find the file upload feature, but that doesn't put the files in a public directory.
philipm

Postby sttis » Tue May 14, 2013 4:37 pm

I'm trying to export/import users between two OJS instances - both version 2.2.3. I've exported the users from the Web interface. When I try to import the users back in, only some of the users import.

I've looked at http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php/Import ... om_the_Web

Encoding and DOCTYPE seem ok to me.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE users PUBLIC "-//PKP/OJS Users XML//EN" "http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/dtds/users.dtd">

When I try to validate the XML, I get the error:

Content model of element 'user' disallows element 'signature' at this position.

If I remove the unexpected element, the XML is valid and the import seems to go ok.

Any clues on how to retain the signature element though? I'm an XML novice!

Note: I don't have access to the PHP admin.
Last edited by sttis on Tue May 14, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sttis

Postby asmecher » Tue May 14, 2013 4:57 pm

Hi sttis,

You can probably ignore the complaint about the "signature" node -- it's probably related to elements appearing out of order, which OJS doesn't care about as long as the nesting is correct. However, I suspect you have one or more users with blank first names. Make sure that there is a first name specified for all users, and make sure that it's not empty.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

PreviousNext

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion