OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Installing on Godaddy.com with Economy Hosting

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Installing on Godaddy.com with Economy Hosting

Postby thebigaym » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:48 pm

I was hoping to be able to install OJS 2.2.2 using a godaddy.com hosted account (economy hosting). The server requirements are met.

I created a folder JIMA on the domain jimana.net. I copied therein the entire contents of the extracted OJS 2.2.2 package, preserving the folder trees.

I had trouble executing instruction #4 in the README file:

4. Open a web browser to <http://yourdomain.com/path/to/ojs/> and follow the on-screen installation instructions.

I pointed my browser to http://www.jimana.net/JIMA/to/ojs, but there was no such folder. The only folder ojs I could find was classes\oai\ojs, classes\rt\ojs and classes\payment\ojs. What am I doing wrong?
thebigaym

Re: Installing on Godaddy.com with Economy Hosting

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:00 am

Hi thebigaym,

It looks like you didn't fully upload all files or uploaded the files incorrectly somehow -- those are directories within OJS, but there should be much, much more than that in your OJS directory. I'd suggest reuploading, and ensuring that the entire code is uploaded.

Additionally, some folks have had issues with Godaddy hosting and OJS -- a forum search for 'godaddy' will return some results.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby dankomed » Thu May 03, 2012 10:14 pm

Dear ojs team,

I have the same problem. I have created a mySQL database (v5.0) on Go Daddy.com using their default options. Then I have uploaded the ojs-2.3.7.tar.gz to the web server and unzipped it. In addition I have changed the name of the directory from ojs-2.3.7 to ojs and have set permission for all files and directories in ojs to read and write. I have modified the database setting on config.inc.php file as follows:

driver = mysql
host = xxx.db.xxx.hostedresource.com
username = "name_of_mySql_database"
password = "database_password"
name = "name_of_mySql_database"

when I load my.web.com/ojs/ I got a blank page or "Cannot read configuration file D:\Hosting\xxx\html\ojs\config.inc.php"
I will be glad to receive help on starting the installation of ojs .
dankomed

Postby asmecher » Fri May 04, 2012 7:27 am

Hi dankomed,

If the path listed in the error message is correct (i.e. D:\Hosting\xxx\html\ojs\config.inc.php) and that file exists, then your problem is file permissions -- either that file itself, or the directory it's in.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby dankomed » Sat May 05, 2012 9:50 pm

Thanks for the note, I have solved the problem. The journal is now set up and runs properly. I want to add some information for others who may follow the same path. Well, first big error is DO NOT choose Windows based hosting plan. I was able to fix the numerous problems and actually installed the OJS, however the site was running extremely slow - it was taking about 40=50 seconds to load the home page, sometimes the pages could not load at all and gives error, then you need to refresh the site. I have then deleted the installed OJS, and requested switch of the hosting plan from Windows based to Linux based server. The speed is very fast using the Linux operated GoDaddy server and if the settings are properly set exactly as I posted above, the Linux server does not return blank pages. Well, many thanks to the OJS team, the troubles seemed to be due to the bad Windows based hosting, under Linux operated server everything is just smooth!
dankomed

Postby dankomed » Sat May 05, 2012 9:59 pm

I just wanted to add what was causing the error in the Windows based GoDaddy server, but as i wrote above I highly recommend switching the hosting plan to Linux based one, it speeds up the journal enormously. One of the "bugs" in the Windows based server is that after you upload the tar.gz file to the web root directory you have to use the unzip option on the GoDaddy FTP file manager. Unfortunately under Windows unzipping of the empty cache folders is corrupt and these empty folders do not appear in the ojs folder. Why I did not notice that these files are missing? Because I set the whole ojs folder to be writable including all of its sub-directories and file content. I wanted to be sure I do not "miss" to set "write" for some of the required files. Unfortunately such global setting prevented me from seeing that the cache folder was missing.
dankomed

Postby kennymatthew » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:41 pm

Hi dankomed,

Could you please help me out i am using unix server on GO daddy and trying to install OJS but it says " No input file specified. " when i try to install OJS

Regards,
Kenny
kennymatthew

Postby asmecher » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:22 am

Hi Kenny,

See e.g. http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10268.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support