OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

No email sent to section editor

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

No email sent to section editor

Postby Grif » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:56 pm

I am having a problem with one of the automatically generated emails - when I have submitted an article and then assigned a section editor, the automatic notification email from editor to section editor is not being sent. I am using my own email address for all roles and none of the other automatic emails failed. Our ICTS people have recieved an error message saying there was no recipient address (below). Can you help please?

-------------

Main Document

Mail Delivery System <Mailer-Daemon@griffith.edu.au>

Yesterday 04:31 PM
To:
webstage@fury-1.itc.griffith.edu.au
Basics .
Document Type:
Discussion
Subject:
Mail failure - no recipient addresses
Category:

Associated Event:

Associated Subteam(s):
Reviewers (optional)

Review By Date:
<No due date>
Open

Reviewers

A message that you sent contained no recipient addresses, and therefore no
delivery could be attempted.

------ This is a copy of your message, including all the headers. ------

Received: from webstage by fury-1.itc.griffith.edu.au with local (Exim 4.24)
id 1G0Bm3-00023E-5T; Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:31:11 +1000
To:
Subject: [GLR] Editorial Assignment
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
X-Mailer: Open Journal Systems v2
X-Originating-IP: 132.234.19.72
Message-Id: <E1G0Bm3-00023E-5T@fury-1.itc.griffith.edu.au>
Sender: Staging Webserver <webstage@fury-1.itc.griffith.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:31:11 +1000

{$editorialContactName}:

The submission, "{$articleTitle}," to {$journalName} has been assigned to
you to see through the editorial process in your role as Section Editor.

Submission URL: {$submissionUrl}
Username: {$editorUsername}

Thank you,
{$editorialContactSignature}

Postby Grif » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:20 pm

Sorry I also meant to say we are only testing at the moment.
Grif

Postby asmecher » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:24 pm

Hi Grif,

There are two issues at play here -- the first is the email message that could not be delivered. This is a known issue in OJS 2.1.0 and results from the use of the "Assign Self" button to assign the current user as editor for a submission. The error message is harmless and this issue will be corrected in OJS 2.1.1, which is due for release shortly.

I'll look into the second issue, in which editorial contacts are not notified of new submissions. This is likely a mild incompatibility between OJS and the mail server, and should be easy to correct -- I'll post here when I have a solution.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby asmecher » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:37 pm

Hi Grif,

Please try patching your classes/mail/Mail.inc.php with the patch at the URL http://research2.csci.educ.ubc.ca/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ojs2/classes/mail/Mail.inc.php.diff?r1=1.30;r2=1.31; if you have the chance, please report your success here in case other users are encountring the same problem.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Grif » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:42 pm

Thanks Alec we'll let you know.
Grif

Postby Grif » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:53 pm

We've tried the patch and it doen't seem to have fixed the problem. (I've tried assigning a section editor to a new article submission, but the automatic email still isn't being sent.)

Is there something else we can try?

Thanks.
Grif

Postby asmecher » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:39 am

Hi Grif,

Just to clarify, are you following these steps when you assign a submission?
  • As Editor, enter the submission's Summary page
  • Choose "Add Section Editor" or "Add Editor"
  • Beside the editor or section editor's name, choose "Assign"
  • You should be presented with an email message. Check the addressing and content, and click "Send".
Is this message ever received?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Grif » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:05 pm

Hi Alec,

I follow the first three steps, but no email message is presented for the fourth step (so I can't click "Send" because there's nothing there to send).

Also, am I supposed to click the Record button here? Sometimes I have been clicking it, but it doesn't seem to make any difference (to this problem). What is it for?
Grif

Postby asmecher » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:46 pm

Hi Grif,

The "Record" button can be used with Section Editors to record their level of access to a submission; you can allow review access, editing access, or both. (Editors always have access.)

Are you assigning yourself as an Editor? In this case, you won't be prompted with an email page. If you assign another user, you should receive an email form.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Grif » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:25 pm

Because we are only testing at the moment, I am using only one user who is enrolled as all of the roles. This user uses my email address (the only one available to me to use during testing). So when I come to assign a section editor, I am assigning that one user as the section editor. Is that the same as the editor assigning themselves (I haven't ever used the Assign Self button)?

I don't understand why the other automatically generated emails were sent and this one wasn't.

Thanks for your help with this.
Grif

Postby asmecher » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:47 am

Hi Grif,

That's correct -- if you're assigning yourself as Editor or Section Editor, either via the Assign Self button or by choosing your own account, you won't receive an email (or be prompted to compose one). This is one of the few situations in an operational journal where someone in an editorial role would assign him or herself to a submission, and in this case the email is redundant, so it is suppressed.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Grif » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:24 pm

Thanks Alec - I've just done a new test using another person as section editor (with a different email address) and the email was sent OK. The ICTS say they haven't received an error message yet so I'm hoping that this is resolved.

Thanks for being so patient.
Grif

Return to OJS Technical Support