OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Get the same page layouts for all browsers, all OS systems

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

Get the same page layouts for all browsers, all OS systems

Postby Ojser » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:40 am

Hi,

I notice that the layout of OJS pages display differently in function of the browser, screen size or OS being used!
When I open OJS journal in Chrome for example, the page display is different from Firefox, IE or Safari! Also, it appears different between Mac, Windows, or Linux!
The page layouts appear deformed in some browsers and/or OS.
Would it be possible to set the same display setting for all browsers and all OS systems?

Thanks for your suggestions
Ojser

Re: Get the same page layouts for all browsers, all OS syste

Postby JasonNugent » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:45 am

Kimo,

What you're asking for is essentially impossible. Web developers work around browser limitations and rendering differences caused by different engines. Not all browsers render HTML or CSS in the same way. The more complex your site design is, the least likely it is that it will look the same everywhere.

Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby Ojser » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:09 am

Well, at least there should be a minimum of common look in all browsers and systems.
When I open the journal in Mac, the pages appear aligned at left, but in windows they appear aligned in the middle and in Linux at right!
In Chrome it looks fine but in IE or firefox, the look is different!
When I zoom in/out, the RightSidebar for example goes at right while the image title or description zone goes to left, and the user form deviates to right etc...!
Try to zoom in/out in OJS journal and see how the pages behave (if the webmaster didn't fixed it)!
So, I would like to make the page contents as one and unique block to keep the same setting and avoid deformation, whatever the browser or OS being used.
One block centered in the middle of the page. This should be possible, shouldn't it?
Ojser

Postby JasonNugent » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:30 am

Kimo,

I think you've done something to your own CSS. I don't see those kinds of style differences when I test locally.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Return to OJS Development