OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Publish articles, do I miss the trick ?

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Publish articles, do I miss the trick ?

Postby Ojser » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:19 am

Hi everybody,

I don't know if I miss the trick to deal with publishing an article or issue in OJS. In a common sense mode, I would think it should be easy but I realize it is not!
When somebody send an article, the publisher (or editor, administrator of the journal) should expect the following choices or options:
- Review, proofread or check the article (or download it) by himself,
- Send the article to a reviewer (to be selected or added to reviewer list),
- Publish the article as is, in an issue (current, future..).
So, this will correspond to three buttons should be visible in the page:
- Review (or download)
- Send to a reviewer
- Publish the article
I see that there are many confusing options that may confuse the editor or administrator. Things could not be simpler, in future version/upgrade, than they are now, with publishing options (review, proofread, publish an article) as easily accessible and visible choices in the same place?

Just an idea "towards a publishing process more intuitive and straightforward".

Regards,
Ojser

Re: Publish articles, do I miss the trick ?

Postby eblwelch » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:14 am

Agreed! Publishing an article seems to happen en route to other things, which can easily result in submissions appearing in the Table of Contents even before galleys are finalized! Overall, the whole Copyediting --> Layout --> Proofreading steps are very nonlinear and confused. Important steps like concluding each phase and authorizing galleys are folded into apparently minor actions like sending e-mails. All this really should be reorganized to make threshold activities including "Publish to Table of Contents" very explicit. Has OJS considered improving these workflow problems?
eblwelch

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion