OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Implementing DOIs

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Implementing DOIs

Postby SueWalton » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:00 am

We are considering using DOI with our newish International Journal of e-Assessment (http://journals.sfu.ca/ijea/index.php/journal). I have looked through the various posts and documentation but can't find the answers to the questions below. Can anyone help please? (we are using version 2.3.1.2)
1. If DOI is activated in the setup does it get allocated to everything e.g. forewords and afterwords as well as articles?
2. At what point is the DOI generated for a particular paper ?
3. Where can I find the DOI for each paper once it has been generated (I have all permissions except systems admin)?
4. Currently the editions of IJEA have all comprised conference papers so we have not been using the full functionality of OJS - the papers get emailed to me and when they are ready I upload them as final pdfs using the QuickSubmit plugin. Clearly this will need to change if we decide to use DOI as CrossRef requires the DOI info to be included on the paper itself. Depending on what the answers are to questions 2 and 3 has anybody got any suggestions as to what I would need to do in future (I am hoping that I will still be use the plugin but perhaps in a slightly different way)?
5. I note that some code has been supplied to get the DOI to display in abstracts. If DOIs are also generated for e.g. forewords where does this display appear (if anywhere) given we have chosen for these not to have abstracts?
Sue Walton
SueWalton

Re: Implementing DOIs

Postby thebigaym » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:36 am

1. If DOI is activated in the setup does it get allocated to everything e.g. forewords and afterwords as well as articles?

Forewards and afterwards are sections in your journal? If so, yes. In our journal, jima.imana.org, everything which appears in our table of contents gets a DOI when I do a DOI export. Perhaps, Home > User > Journal Management > Journal Sections > Section should allow disabling of DOI assignment for specific sections.

2. At what point is the DOI generated for a particular paper ?

In Home > User > Journal Management > Journal Setup Step 1.1, you determine how your DOIs are calculated. DOIs only become live after submission to your DOI assignment agency. In the US, for example, that is crossref.org.

3. Where can I find the DOI for each paper once it has been generated (I have all permissions except systems admin)?

see question 2. In our case, we generate the DOI through [prefix]/[volume number]-[issue number]-[OJS article ID]. So I know the DOI as soon as I submit a manuscript and assign it to be published in a specific volume and issue. Of course, if I i'm uploading articles to back issues, I know what the DOI will be as soon as OJS assigns it an article ID.

4. Currently the editions of IJEA have all comprised conference papers so we have not been using the full functionality of OJS - the papers get emailed to me and when they are ready I upload them as final pdfs using the QuickSubmit plugin. Clearly this will need to change if we decide to use DOI as CrossRef requires the DOI info to be included on the paper itself. Depending on what the answers are to questions 2 and 3 has anybody got any suggestions as to what I would need to do in future (I am hoping that I will still be use the plugin but perhaps in a slightly different way)?

What I'm doing with our journal's back issues is using a full version of Adobe Acrobat to add, using the typewriter tool and the linking tool, the DOIs to the first page of each article. This is significant work, but it is even more significant work to add the DOIs for the references (CrossRef's forward linking).

5. I note that some code has been supplied to get the DOI to display in abstracts. If DOIs are also generated for e.g. forewords where does this display appear (if anywhere) given we have chosen for these not to have abstracts?

Even if a section does not require abstracts, you can add an abstract. I just write

DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5915/43-3-8602

in the abstract in OJS.
thebigaym

Postby SueWalton » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:38 am

Thank you, that is all really helpful. Am I right in thinking that you are manually adding the DOI to your abstracts rather than using the code that has been supplied to do this elsewhere in this forum? We are likely to use CrossRef too and they do seem to expect that the DOI will appear on the landing page which I had understood to mean the journal contents page - how have you got around that?
SueWalton

Postby thebigaym » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:19 pm

I am manually adding the DOI. Until recently, the abstracts supported HTML so I could even make the link live. http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8491

I'm not of the code you're referring to. Please direct me to it.
thebigaym

Postby SueWalton » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:35 am

SueWalton

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion