OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

how to attach an author permission license to an article

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

how to attach an author permission license to an article

Postby Katherine » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:18 pm

Is there a way to attach a file (i.e. a scanned PDF of the author license) to the submitted article? I understand this is possible in dSPACE. Is this possible in OJS?

I have student groups which are writing articles for our new journal. Instead of teaching them all how to submit their own articles, I would like to upload them. I would like to attach a scanned copy of the author permission license that the students sign to the article. (The author permission license will confirm that: a.You have the right and authority to grant the rights set out in this license. If there is more than one author, all co-authors have approved the Submission and have read and agreed to the terms of this agreement; b. To the best of your knowledge, the Submission does not infringe copyright or other intellectual property rights of any other person; c. The Submission does not contain any confidential or proprietary information belonging to others;....etc.). The scanned copy of the license would be in the background, not viewable. The article itself will be public.

Thanks for your help!
Katherine
Katherine

Re: how to attach an author permission license to an article

Postby LisaP » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:50 pm

Hi Katherine,

The author permission function can be built right into the OJS submission process. In order to do this:

• Go to User Home – Journal Manager
• Go to Setup
• You’ll see that Step 3.2 is “Copyright Notice.” You’re free to change the copyright notice to whatever you’d like.
• Check the box that requires the authors to agree to the copyright notice as part of the submission process.

Once you’ve enabled this function, authors won’t be able to submit without agreeing to the copyright notice. Visitors to the journal will be able to read the copyright notice under About the Journal > Submissions.

Lisa
LisaP

Postby Katherine » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:13 am

Thanks Lisa. In this situation, instead of setting the students up with an account and teaching them how to submit their group paper, I would prefer for them to read and to sign the license and send me a scanned copy. I would then submit their work and *attach the signed licence* in the background to the article. This is possible in dSPACE; is it possible in OJS? Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions!
Katherine

Postby LisaP » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:22 pm

Hi Katherine,

I see -- sorry I didn't understand your question the first time around. Yes, there is an option to upload supplementary files. That can be done during Step 4 of the submission process. The supplementary files aren't publicly available -- only the editor(s) and author(s) have access to them.

Hope this helps,

Lisa
LisaP

Postby LisaP » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:39 pm

Hello again Katherine,

It's actually been brought to my attention that supplementary files can be publicly accessible. You might want to take a look at these previous forum entries for more info on how to set access restrictions:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5820

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4860

Cheers,
Lisa
LisaP

Postby Katherine » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:13 pm

Thanks Lisa! This is exactly what I needed. :D
Katherine

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion