OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Suggestions for Selling Advertisement in OJS Journal

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Suggestions for Selling Advertisement in OJS Journal

Postby thebigaym » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:35 am

Our journal received a request to promote a conference.

I was thinking about creating an advertising package based on OJS capabilities.

In particular, I would make an announcement of the conference in the announcements. I would place banner ads in the side bar and as isssue covers. I was also thinking about e-mailing readers, authors and reviewers.

Do you have experience or suggestions in using an OJS journal to sell ads?
thebigaym

Re: Suggestions for Selling Advertisement in OJS Journal

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:52 pm

Hi thebigaym,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. We actually provide ad display capabilities to some of our journals. We use the Open Source Openx application (http://www.openx.com/) but you could just as easily use any sort of ad service that provides ad display HTML. Basically, you will need to configure the ad software and create some ads, which should also provide you with an HTML/Javascript code snippet to insert into your website; then you copy that code and either add it to a template file (say your templates/common/footer.tpl to add an ad to the footer) or create your own block (using the Custom Block plugin, or manually) and add the code there.

There is also the OpenAds plugin, which you can use in conjunction with an installed OpenX application server -- you can find the plugin in System Plugins -> Generic Plugins. I haven't used that plugin before, so I'm not sure what it's function or capabilities are, but it does point to a README file that should be useful.

If you have any further questions about this, just let us know!

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion