OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

non-form error handling

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

non-form error handling

Postby barbarah » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:17 pm

I have a pretty general development question: what's the best way to go about capturing errors/exceptions and then ultimately displaying an error message to the user in the template/UI? I see how this is done for HTML form errors, but it's unclear how this works (or should work) for non-html-form stuff. For example, I'm implementing some convert-to-pdf functionality and want to let the user know if their document wasn't able to be converted for some reason. I can't find examples in the existing PKP codebase to use as a model. Any pointers would be really useful. Thanks!
barbarah

Re: non-form error handling

Postby mcrider » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:00 pm

Hi Barbarah,

We do this in pages/manager/PluginManagementHandler::_showInstallForm() (and others) for example -- though I'm not sure why thats not a form other than its too basic to require a full-fledged form class. Its typically best to use a Form class, but otherwise thats one example of how to show errors.

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby barbarah » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:31 am

Thanks for the quick response Matt! Do you have any working examples of functionality (ideally in OJS) that I can look at as an example?
barbarah

Postby asmecher » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:50 am

Hi all,

For the forthcoming OMP, we're making more use of the Notifications framework and it might be useful here as well. Barbarah, have a look at pages/admin/AdminSettingsHandler.inc.php at the very end of the file:
Code: Select all
import('classes.notification.NotificationManager');
$notificationManager = new NotificationManager();
$notificationManager->createTrivialNotification($user->getId());
This creates a "Your settings were saved" message. It's not an error condition, but you may be able to use the same structures to present an error as well; have a look at the NotificationManager's API.

This applies much more to OMP than OJS, but since they both share the same lib/pkp code including the base PKPNotificationManager class, it's worth investigating.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby barbarah » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:51 am

Cool, thanks Alec. I was hoping OMP had more exception/notification handling in place :-)
barbarah

Return to OJS Development