OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Correcting published papers - loss of viewing figures

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Correcting published papers - loss of viewing figures

Postby janer » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:01 am

Hello,

A few times in the last three years, either an Author or the Editor have asked me to make corrections in a published paper, usually in the most recent issue, because they have spotted errors in substance or in layout. I have done this by working on the archived paper - uploading an amended version into the Layout section of the Editing page, and deleting the previously-visible version. The Editor is always extremely pleased at the relative ease with which this can be done, but of course, if it is for an article that has been published for some time, you lose the majority of its viewing figures, as the counter resets to zero with the amended version.

So my question is, is there any way of doing this substitution so as to preserve the viewing figures for the article from the date of publication, whatever version is being viewed?

Many thanks

Janer
janer

Re: Correcting published papers - loss of viewing figures

Postby ramon » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:29 am

Hello Janer,

Have you tested replacing the original file with the new one instead of deleting it?
I believe this would prevent losing the viewing numbers...
ramon

Postby janer » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:10 am

Hi Ramon,

I don't understand what you mean. If I upload the revised version of the article into the Editing Section, even if I use the up/down arrows to place it above the previously-published one, that doesn't make it the one visible to the public. The only way I have found to make the revised version as the visible one is to delete the previous one, and hence lose the 'counter' back to zero. Is there another way please?

Thanks

Jane
janer

Postby ramon » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:15 pm

Hello janer,
I hope these screenshots will make myself clearer..

This should be the main page you see when entering the editing page of a submission:
editing.stage.main.page.png
Editing stage: Main page.
editing.stage.main.page.png (15.7 KiB) Viewed 966 times

You have the option to upload a new galley file. This means you can have as many versions of the paper as you wish.
Usually used to offer readers multiple formats (PDF, HTML, Videos, whatever...)
Once you have uploaded a file, you can always go back and edit it, to make changes or replace the file.

editing.stage.galley.png
Editing stage: Editing a galley file.
editing.stage.galley.png (9.91 KiB) Viewed 966 times

I don't think OJS will reset the counters if you REPLACE the file when clicking the EDIT link beside it, instead of uploading a NEW galley and removing the previous one.
ramon

Postby janer » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:38 am

Dear Ramon,

This was really helpful, thank you very much.

Janer

PS - any chance of a reply from you or a colleague to my post of 21 Feb please re author access to a declined paper? It's still really puzzling us! J
janer

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion