OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

REQ: Email obfuscation

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

REQ: Email obfuscation

Postby BrianG » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:04 pm

It would be nice to have the option of choosing to obfuscate the email.

An image with no link is one choice. This will require the GD Lib in PHP to be working so it can dynamically replace the email text with a generated/cached image. A good starting point would be here: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/dynatext/.

Another choice would be to add support for Hiveware Enkoder scripts. Users would go to http://automaticlabs.com/products/enkoderform/ to encode the HTML to generate an email link. Then they would paste the generated javascript into some form. An even slicker option would be for OJS to send an HTTP form request to encode the email and then parse the returned HTML for the generated javascript and save it in a .js file.

I may do it myself, but right now I'm familiarizing myself with the system.
BrianG

Postby asmecher » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:08 pm

Hi Brian,

Emails on the public side of the site (e.g. no login required) are already hex-obfuscated. (I'm not particularly concerned about email addresses being displayed un-obfuscated to registered users, as anonymous harvesters are the concern.) If this proves insufficient, we'll certainly look further into it -- or if a user such as yourself submits a better method, we'd be glad to accept it.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby BrianG » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:50 pm

There are pages on the site that do not require registration to access that do display email addresses, for example, the Journal Contact page.

Then there's the problem if you require registration to view the content, would that not also kick out search engines?

Not every user is concerned about displaying their email address, but it's always nice to give them a choice---display it, display it encoded, or not to display it at all.
BrianG

Postby asmecher » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:06 pm

Hi Brian,

The email addresses on the contact page are hex-obfuscated; browsers should display the addresses as normal, but if you view the source, you'll see the obfuscated version.

Smarty, which is the templating system OJS uses and which supplies the obfuscation code, can also generate javascript-obfuscated email addresses -- however, I'm not sure how broadly compatible this is. It would be easy enough to use instead of the current obfuscator; a parameter just needs to be supplied to the function call.

With regards to content for registered users, I was referring to the entire editorial process and related roles, such as Authors, Editors, Reviewers, etc. All public content that should be indexed by a search engine is accessible without registration -- depending on the journal's security settings.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Development