OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Auto XML Export

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
The Public Knowledge Project Support Forum is moving to http://forum.pkp.sfu.ca

This forum will be maintained permanently as an archived historical resource, but all new questions should be added to the new forum. Questions will no longer be monitored on this old forum after March 30, 2015.

Auto XML Export

Postby gnosisphpbb » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:12 am

I would like a way to obtain an XML export of OJS content (on issue or, better yet, journal level) automatically based upon setting a schedule or anytime new content is added. Also, an added plus would be to do this without being a journal manager.

I am currently using the Articles & Issues XML Plugin but there are limitations because I need to manually perform exports and need to be set as a Journal Manager. I need to be able to do this for on-going archival work with Portico.

Any ideas?
gnosisphpbb

Re: Auto XML Export

Postby asmecher » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:26 am

Hi gnosisphpbb,

Have you looked into using SWORD for archiving? There's a SWORD plugin included in recent OJS releases and it has more options for automatic deposits. (Note that you can't currently round-trip with SWORD, i.e. OJS can export but not import. If that's a consideration, then I'd suggest sticking with the native import/export toolset.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby gnosisphpbb » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:30 am

Thanks, Alec. I appreciate your response.

Sorry, could you elaborate about Sword?

I have read:
http://swordapp.org/about/

But do not fully get the picture.
I need to export an XML file and send it to Portico.

Will Sword allow for this?

Thanks,

Stephen
gnosisphpbb

Postby asmecher » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:54 am

Hi Stephen,

Yes, that's the right URL. Portico would need to offer external access to their SWORD interface, so that OJS could contact it and make a deposit when needed. DSpace, Fedora, and others offer SWORD service provider support; I'm not sure about Portico. It's a good standard and seems to be gaining some traction for the kind of automated deposit you describe.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Development