OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Auto XML Export

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

Auto XML Export

Postby gnosisphpbb » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:12 am

I would like a way to obtain an XML export of OJS content (on issue or, better yet, journal level) automatically based upon setting a schedule or anytime new content is added. Also, an added plus would be to do this without being a journal manager.

I am currently using the Articles & Issues XML Plugin but there are limitations because I need to manually perform exports and need to be set as a Journal Manager. I need to be able to do this for on-going archival work with Portico.

Any ideas?
gnosisphpbb

Re: Auto XML Export

Postby asmecher » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:26 am

Hi gnosisphpbb,

Have you looked into using SWORD for archiving? There's a SWORD plugin included in recent OJS releases and it has more options for automatic deposits. (Note that you can't currently round-trip with SWORD, i.e. OJS can export but not import. If that's a consideration, then I'd suggest sticking with the native import/export toolset.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby gnosisphpbb » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:30 am

Thanks, Alec. I appreciate your response.

Sorry, could you elaborate about Sword?

I have read:
http://swordapp.org/about/

But do not fully get the picture.
I need to export an XML file and send it to Portico.

Will Sword allow for this?

Thanks,

Stephen
gnosisphpbb

Postby asmecher » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:54 am

Hi Stephen,

Yes, that's the right URL. Portico would need to offer external access to their SWORD interface, so that OJS could contact it and make a deposit when needed. DSpace, Fedora, and others offer SWORD service provider support; I'm not sure about Portico. It's a good standard and seems to be gaining some traction for the kind of automated deposit you describe.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Development